Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Surgical pathology

Mary,

Here is a link to the American Society that explains all of these terms:
http://www.cancer.org/treatment/understandingyourdiagnosis/understandingyourpathologyreport/prostatepathology/prostate-cancer-pathology

Gleason 3 + 4 is the lowest Gleason Score that would get treatment these days so that suggests fairly non-aggressive cancer.

Positive margins means the prostate had cancer on the surface which probably means that the cancer got out.

"Perineural invasion present" means that even though the cancer is low grade it still has followed the nerves out of the prostate so it probably got out.

Focal high-grade prostatic intra epithelial neoplasia (PIN) This is just pre-cancerous cells found which is to be expected since cancer cells were found.

Yes, follow up radiation may be required if the PSA starts going up past 0.2.

I had a worse outcome and got follow up radiation/hormone treatment at the 0.2 PSA level. Since it is salvage radiation it is a lower dose and seemed to cause me no ill effects but the hot flashes from the hormone treatment caused sleep problems so I was glad when they went away. Still no re-occurrence 6 years later.

I appreciate all of your comments and am asking once again. My husband is doing quite well except for the incontinence which has been a challenge. His first PSA after surgery was .11, 3 months later ,12 and his latest was .13. Our Urologist says it looks good. I saw our medical doctor today and he asked about him and I told him these results. He was quite upset and wants us to see the urologist again as he doesn't like the fact that it is rising. He thinks he should have the radiation. It's all so confusing. I don't want him to have unnecessary treatment but surely don't want to be sorry that we didn't do enough. Again, thank you for your help!

Strictly a layman's view, but if it were me, I'd want a pelvic scan and if that showed any residual PCa, I'd definitely go for radiation, despite the risks and side effects. Your oncologist's view would be crucial at that point.

OC in England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS