Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help for a worried Newbie

"I assume there's no chance of my PSA shooting up into that danger zone and then coming back down is there?"

No. The prostate cancer cells are almost not prostate cells at the point they stop producing PSA. It usually happens after quite a few years of ADT. (That said, you could always be that one case that does something never seen before but your chances are far greater of getting killed by lightning than metastatic disease at this point.)

Frank, I had been out with friends yesterday for the first time since my PSA test....came home feeling fairly upbeat as had had a good day....a few beers and laughs....read your post which really helped my mood
Sadly I then spent the evening doing more "research" ...I live in the UK and there is a charitable organisation (prostate cancer UK) they have a website with lots of info and they also have a forum....I joined a few days ago and posted my story and have quite a few replies from good people like yourself trying to allay my fears...One lady in particular is a regular poster (her husband is the sufferer) she seems very knowledgeable on all matters medical and prostate....She also has replied to me several times and is very practical...Sadly I was reading one of her posts in another thread whereby a wife was concerned over her husband's high PSA of 16.....she was trying to allay her fears by explaining like yourself that PSA is not always indicative of PCa...she then went on to say that there were people on the UK forum who had had readings of 20/30 who were cancer free and then there were people with readings of 3 who were advanced and with bone mets....which as I said I had seen posted somewhere else....Cue more panic and the downward spiral again....I know that before I get checked out and DX'd one way or another I shouldn't keep squeaking, but I have convinced myself that I am doomed and like somebody Hexed by a Witch Doctor who believes in the curse I feel I am going to succumb

I cannot see myself ever having a joyous day again....and I am driving my poor wife crazy....just going to have to wait and see I guess, but it's going to be a long time coming
Thanks again Tony

Tony, your PSA has been slowly moving up over the last 10 years. If you had aggressive disease you would already be dead. The worst that will happen is you will need treatment(s). I've had them and for me the worry was worse than the treatments.

Hi Frank, Believe me I want to believe that....My history of PSA was
Feb/06 1.2
Then a large gap until I presented myself at docs with my increasing urinary frequency
April/14 3.1
August/14 3.1
April/15 3.1
June/16 7.5

It's that rapid rise in just over a year that's blowing my mind.....But I have decided to book myself in to a chiropractor to find the cause of the back ache (hopefully muscular) and then that may take some of the anxiety away

Thanks again for talking me off of the ledge & happy 4th July

Tony

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS