Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: wondering about cancer spread

If you have a G6 there is no reason to worry as G6 cancers rarely matastize. A higher grade cancer will mastastize and is highly dependent on tumor volume.
A cancer takes 44 doublings from inception to death. It can be detected at around 30 doublings when it is the size of a pin head. It stands to reason the more cancer cells you have the faster the tumor will double in size, so it stands to reason that smaller tumors are less likely to matastize than large tumors. Reducing the volume of a tumor through surgery or radiation will extend life expectancy unless the cancer has already matastized to other parts of the body.

Re: wondering about cancer spread

There has been some really informative responses to this question! The more I learn about this disease, the more confused and full of questions I seem to get. Cancer is called a disease and yet it is something you don't "catch". It originates in your own body from a malfunction in (DNA?) as I understand it. Once "mutated" cells are allowed to move to another part of the body and establish themselves even though they are not the type of cells that belong there. Just doesn't seem right that they can do that and be allowed to survive. It is just a train wreck! After thirty times doubling, I just read, the tumor is only the size of a pin head! Does that mean this thing starts at a very early age and takes many years to become significant - if at all? Maybe this is why doctors are so hard to get answers out of. Are we just better off being blissfully unaware of details? The more we learn, the more we wonder about. Kind of a fruitless endeavor I guess. Best to all! Jon R.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS