Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Exercise!

I don't know if exercise directly effects prostate cancer or not but being in shape and staying that way is a good way to allow the body to fight off all kinds of maladies so why not cancer also. Since younger years I have noted that a percentage of folks who retire, often fade away in a couple years. This was a signal to me that retirement is not meant to be enjoyed in inactivity. Those that use retirement as a way to sit and watch TV for the rest of their life are often the ones that only make a couple years into retirement before they "fade away". Retirement was set at around 65 because that is about the time things start to fail with our bodies. A few lucky ones escape that event but most of us mature folks can equate with that happening. Being in good physical shape can mean the difference between getting through these episodes or not. (It is one reason why younger men generally have better results than us old farts with cancer treatments.) I was diagnosed with PC two years into retirement and three months into recovery from that treatment, suffered a heart attack and had a quad by-pass so I was not one of the lucky ones. Had I not been physically active my whole life those two events could have spelled the end for me. It was reaffirmed to me after my by-pass (by the rehab folks) as to how important it was to keep active. After two sessions of rehab I felt they were being too easy on me so I did - and still do my own rehab by keeping active in work and play. I am not a good example of healthy eating and like good tasting food too much. That was proved in the way my arteries plugged up so exercise is not a cure all if you don't follow all the rules of good health. (If it tastes like cardboard, it is probably healthy food) Everything is a compromise and you have to enjoy life also as you try your best to keep reasonably fit in order to extend life as long as practical. I consider myself reasonably fit but also know I am about twenty pounds overweight so I am not bragging for sure. I guess I would say I am about average. So when you can't get anything but advertisements on TV anyway, turn the thing off and go for a walk, a bike ride, in the shop doing a project, or some other hobby that requires activity, or just get some of those chores done that are always there. Activity will raise your ambition level - much unlike what I am doing right now in front of this computer! Jon.

Re: Exercise!

Dear Jon R. your contributions are always so wonderful, so enlightening, so encouraging, please keep it up. What can one say!

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS