Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: bike riding

Jon:
Here is a recent comment from a very knowledgeable fellow from another site:

Comment by E. Michael D. ("Mike") Scott 31 minutes ago

George:

There is no really compelling evidence that cycling (or spinning) causes any form of prostate problem in the majority of men. If there really was a serious association, we'd know about it because half the professional bike riders in the work would have prostate problems of some type. They don't ... At least, not that I have ever heard of.

On the other hand, for men with minor prostate problems, cycling may exacerbate the problem and so there is some evidence of "associations"

Also bike riding is associated with a rise in our PSA.
Regards Don O.

Just to mention that I am currently going through my proton treatment and had the SapceOAR gel implanted instead of the balloon. We were all asked NOT to ride a bike or horse during treatment.

In my reading it seems any stimulation of the prostate produces the effect of increasing PSA - thus pressing on the perineum while bike riding, riding in a saddle, a lot of sitting in general, orgasm, and similar will raise PSA test results. But nowhere have I seen a study that documents how much. A few reads hinted it was a percentage, but probably not double. Again, I haven't found facts for how much higher.

By accident, I did have a PSA blood draw immediately after DRE; and that reading came back about 10% higher than normal. 18 instead of 16 at the next draw that was taken prior to DRE - and three months apart.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS