Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SpaceOAR Hydrogel?

I wanted to wait a week before I posted my experience with this new procedure. I currently have NO side effects from this procedure.

Tuesday Feb. 23rd at 13:45 met with Nurse #1. She attached a Tegaderm patch with emla cream to numb the perineum area. I then took 4mg Valium and one 5/325 mg of Lortab. Then I had to sit and wait about an hour for this stuff to take effect. Next I was brought into the procedure room, I laid on my back and put my feet up in stirrups. With the family jewels hanging out three nurses started to prep me and move my testicles out of the way and covered them with a towel. Two doctors and the SpaceOAR representative came in and started to prepare for my procedure. The Doc first inserted a transrectal ultrasound probe into the rectum for guidance of all the needle placements. Next I had many shots of Lidocaine in all areas near perineum and shots into the prostate (supposedly to numb things). They then did the placement of the 3 gold fiducial markers into my prostate via needle insertion of which I felt each needle. Finally the last needle is inserted while they wiggle the ultrasound probe to get a better view for the placement of the SpacerOAR gel, but first they inject a saline solution then the gel.

Had the anesthetics worked it would have been tolerable. Unfortunately for me I felt the pain of every needle. I couldn't wait for this procedure to be over. It was much worse than the prostate biopsy but this was how I felt. Two other men who went before me did not have any pain during this procedure their numbing crap worked well for them. I am a lot larger than these men as I am 6'4" and 200 lbs.

Bottom line a week later I'm glad I had it done since I will not need the famous "balloon" placement for each of the 39 treatments.
I hope this helps anyone else thinking about having this procedure.

I had SpaceOAR before Proton in 2016. I do have loose stools but no incontinence. I guess it does not work perfectly for everyone. Hopefully it worked better for you.

I had the SpaceOAR implanted last October -- before my CyberKnife treatment. It didn't seem to help me much as, I had a bad case of proctitis (pain, diahhrea, bleeding, etc) following my last treatment. Here I am six months later and another bout of proctitis -- but thankfully, much milder. Just a dull pain.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS