Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Benign prostate tissue

Howard,

I don't want to bum you out but it is more likely residual disease and not benign tissue left behind. The next couple of PSA's will confirm one way or the other.

Fred

That is my belief too. It will declare itself soon.

Howard,

You can wait until it hits 0.2 before you will need salvage treatment but if it is obviously moving in that direction (every PSA reading is higher than the last) then it is worth while to see a radiation oncologist at around 0.18. It takes a month or so to get the mapping out and hormone treatment started before they even start the radiation. If you do end up needing the salvage treatment I found it to be not bad at all, at least up to 7 years. The effects of the radiation treatment can cause problems up to 20 years later for some men it seems.

Thanks Frank,

Twenty years would not bother me much, as I am 70. If I knew for sure that I had 15 years without doing anything then I would not do anything. Let the chips fall. But I will get radiation if the rise continues.

Thanks Frank, 20 years later it won't matter too much, as I will be 91. If I can push the day back 10 years I will be happy.

Hello Howard.

I am wondering what were the details of your "excellent" pathology such as post-op Gleason and margins, for how long your PSA was undetectable and what was the timeframe for the rises to 0.05 and then 0.07. What has been your advice on when to make a move?

I am also 70 and after a year of post surgery undetectable PSA (being <0.01), I have now had a test showing 0.01. I know it is a very small number, but after a period of undetectable, any number at all is the possible beginning of something. I am especially vigilant because of my Gleason 4+5=9 post-op pathology, albeit clear margins. From what I have read, often Gleason 9 recurrences move a lot quicker and so I am on the verge of being trigger happy.

All the best from Brian

Sorry Howard, I didn't see your other thread titled "Rising PSA", which answers my questions.

Brian

Negative margins, negative lymph nodes, tumor contains, etc. Gleason 3+4

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS