Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Same boat - different seats;

Why so melancholic Jon. It is another day and you are still here, so why not enjoy it as best you can?

Nowadays I prefer to reflect on the days that I have been privileged to enjoy. For the days remaining admittedly not quite so many in number, I don't intend to waste a single moment by pondering the existence or otherwise of the grim reaper.

Sure circumstance can colour our perception, but how we adapt to the challenges confronting us can be a very enlightening process. In time we are all going to make the transition from a living person to a deceased one. Nothing to fear or dread, purely a natural process, to be approached with dignity, hopefully. I guess the question each of us may choose to reflect on is, "did my existence mean anything"? Now I think we might receive a few responses to that question.

In respect to the tone of you post Jon, might I relate a bit of YANA history. Many moon's ago it was commonplace for men to post on here, newly diagnosed, and seemingly in desperate circumstance. So common in fact that Terry came up with, "you are not alone" YANA!. By contrast, today such posts still occur, but their frequency is far less commonplace. Why is that so? Well the last 20 years or so have seen great advances in both the treatment and outcomes for all stages of prostate cancer including advanced metastatic disease. Today PCa is becoming more of a chronic manageable disease not say unlike diabetes. But needless to say our journeys can take different pathways. I have seen men with low grade PCa door poorly, and somewhat surprisingly, men with high grade disease do well. I think it is just the luck of the draw but others may well argue that other factors are afoot.

So Jon and Don, do feel free to expose the flaws in my argument.

best wishes
john

Jon and John:
A solid factually based analysis as usual John. You and Jon may have different perspectives---but both have merit.
Don O.

G'day Don,
Do I detect a bit of fence sitting, LOL??

So how has your journey been going Don? I might hop over to your blog and have a quiz. Well I did and you seem a tad happier Don. Good to read. Dr Myers does use some interesting terminology. What prey tell is a "complete remission"? A remission I understand. But a complete remission?????

best wishes
john

P.S. Don't forget I come from that land down under. We see everything upside down!

P.P.S. Perhaps an complete remission might be considered as a incomplete progression! (:

John:
I'm inclined to sit the fence from time to time especially when the occasion warrants doing so.
I am wholly satisfied with my treatment plan and outcome thus far. In truth I feel blessed. Thanks for asking. I appreciate your continued interest and support.
As a part of my next journal entry I intend to ask Dr. Myers for more information about his complete and durable remission protocol AND whether or not I might be a suitable candidate for this approach. This line of questioning got me crossways with Dr. Myers recently so I will reentering the arena with trepidation. Stay tuned.

P.S. Call it what you like complete and durable remission or incomplete progression, I'll settle for either.
P.S.S. Jon--Thank you for providing us the opportunity for this exchange.

Don,

I believe Dr. Meyers says a complete and durable remission is when his patients are treated and show no signs of PC on any of the available imaging scans, Bone, MRI, Xray, PET/CT...etc AND have an undetectable PSA <.01 for 12 months.

Hope I got this right.

Fred

All fine Don. In Australia from what I recall, the term remission tends not to be used with any qualification. I now understand the American medical jargon for the term complete remission. Given the roots of our medical practice over here have distinctly British origins, I have never come across a qualification on a state of remission. Perhaps such a term's utility is more comforting for a patient if so ascribed. Ok enough waffle. Thank you for the enlightenment Don.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS