Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Choice Between Surgery and Radiation Therapy

Ron:
In order to get the ball rolling, allow me to respond to your question with a series of questions:
Have you reviewed the likely side effects of your two choices and determined which seem most tolerable based on your personal values and lifestyle?
Have you asked your physician what he/she would recommend for his/her father?
Have you sought a second opinion?
Where do you live? Are there other treatment resources readily available in your area?
Have you considered chemotherapy?
What percentage of the two cores are involved? Are both lobes involved?
What is your current PSA?
How quickly is your PSA rising?

Re: Choice Between Surgery and Radiation Therapy

Ron,
Most men diagnosed with Gleason 10 will die of PC. I would not be worrying too much about side effects. You need the procedures with the greatest chance of success. I would think getting your prostate out ASAP and then hormone and radiation combo would be a good start for treatment (I've had these treatments and my side effects were minor compared to my fears). You should also make sure you are going to a top PC center and not the neighborhood urologist.

I am assuming you have a life expectancy greater than five years otherwise you could just do nothing.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS