Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Newly diagnosed, looking strongly at robotic radical prostatsectomy, not locked in yet

Hi John, Let me tell you about my experience. Five years ago at age 54 I had a PSA of 5.6 or so. After the biopsy, I decided to have a radical prostatectomy on the robotic Da Vinci machine. The procedure was easy until I got the results back that I had positive margins meaning the cancer extended beyond the cut. The doctor did not want me to go for a second opinion of having adjuvant radiation but after several months I went anyway. The Oncologist looking at my results discover that the problem was that when the surgery was done to remove my prostate, the doctor missed a small piece of the prostate inside me and that had some cancer. After that news I went ahead and received the radiation (which was also easy). 4.5 years later my PSA is at 0.00 (all 4.5 years at every 6 months). After reading up a little on the Da Vinci, I saw that the Da Vinci had a little bit of a history with this problem of not getting 100% of the prostate. In 4.5 years I am sure things have gotten better. It appears that sometimes the prostate is close to another organ (bladder I think) and it is hard to cut the prostate out cleanly. Interesting enough I was watching an old House TV show (the one with the craze doctor) and in the episode another Doctor wanted House to operate on him and made the comment “unless you have it in your hand, it does not count”. I now know what he means. Do not let my story sway you one way or another. But if I was doing it again I would ask the risks of what I described above. Good luck. I will check back on this site in a week or so. I am going on vacation tomorrow. Mike Gastonia NC

Re: Newly diagnosed, looking strongly at robotic radical prostatsectomy, not locked in yet

Hi Mike,
Sad to read about your positive margins with Da Vinci, but very heartening to read that your salvage radiation has gone well.

Mike for the most part the success of the DaVinci procedure is dependent on the relative experience of the surgeon with the procedure. For the most part surgeons using robotic technique are generous in their tissue resection. The reason for that is while the robotic technique is precise, there is no ability for a surgeon to feel tissue as is the case with an open RP. Skilled surgeons employ the feel of tissue greatly in open procedures.

Now regarding positive margins, sadly no prostatic surgery, be it open or laparoscopic, has a guarantee of no positive margins. In addition to the difficulty of undertaking an RP, it is a very challenging operation, clear delineation between organ tissues can sometimes be difficult, even more so post EBRT, that is why so few are done.

I think, were I considering an RP, I would opt for the open procedure with a very skilled surgeon. I am old school and tend to go with what I know work's.

I did a paper a while back analysing the various treatment choices that YANA members had undertaken as primary treatment for PCa. To my surprise Robotic Da Vinci method far out numbered open RP, and for the most part outcomes were good. Perhaps the only caveat being, that almost all in the members in the analysis were of US origin. I would be very surprised if those figures would be replicated in an Australian study. The paper is available on this site should you wish to have a read.

When I was diagnosed, I was 57 at the time (now 65), I was faced with the same conundrum. I opted for EBRT on the basis that I still wanted to be potent and continent, my other issue was that I was on the fringe of High Risk with a GS 7 (4+3). The stats at that time in Australia indicated equal outcomes with RP V EBRT. In hindsight, I think I made the right choice, almost eight years later my PSA's are still between 0.13 and 0.17. I kept my potency and continency. Plus my Rad Onco was an old colleague and a good friend. "I will look after you" he said, and he did.

So in summary, there are no right options for everyone. The best we can do, is to do our research, select the medical expertise most appropriate in our subjective judgement, and the most import factor, cross our fingers and hope for a good outcome.

I trust my waffle make's some sense.

best wishes
john

Gosh John: That research you compiled for us sounds extremely interesting! I attempted to access it at least once previously without success. Please advise me (us) once more how to access this information.
Regards Don O.

Hi Don,
You can find it on the resources page (link below). Scroll down to "What other men do" 3rd paragraph. It is available as a PDF file.

http://www.yananow.org/resources.shtml

best wishes
john

Deja VU?

Mike after posting, the penny dropped. I think I was just preaching to an old PCa warrior? Am I correct in assuming you are the same Mike from back when? If so, you had a heap of Terry's guidance et al. Would you change anything with the benefit of hindsight.

john

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS