Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Radiation???

Ken, What others have said is quite right. I'm a way bit older than you (71) and had a slightly lower PSA at start-up, but once that number gets big, how big doesn't matter too much.

Radiation caused bladder cancer in me (I believe, medics can't say if I'm right, but it happened to my brother too), so that's an aspect to bear in mind. You may be one of the unfortunate few, but most likely not.

After various treatments for the bladder cancer, I had it and the prostate and associated lymph nodes out. Nothing in the removed lymph nodes so that was good news, as was the fact that no bladder cancer was found. However, I wasn't free of PCa as it became clear that it had spread locally (like yours) in my case to my urethra, where it is now controlled with abiraterone/prednisolone. Now, I've been facing this chronic disease (I refuse to think of it as a killer) for nearly eight years and am fit and well with every prospect of dying from something else (I hope many years hence).

You may be in for some worrying years ahead but despite the risks of radiotherapy, I'd go for it. I would do so again, even knowing what I know now.

Also be heartened by the fact that though the numbers suggest that the disease is systemic, as was suggested in my case, it may be confined locally, which would make it as treatable as mine has been. They may still describe it as advanced metastatic PCa but I believe your odds are a lot better than if it spreads to distant sites. There are lots of treatment options available these days should my present plan fail. Look ahead another eight years in your case and that will be even more so.

Do not be dispirited. You might be if you read my long blog on this site, but others have kindly said that they found it inspiring, so it's there if you want to see how my treatment went and how my feelings varied over the years. I hope you can tell that I'm extremely positive about my life prospects and I'd urge you to try to be also.

I hope all that helps.

Nil desperandum!

Best wishes

OC in England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS