Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new diagnosis, questions

Hi,

At this stage, the single most important factor will be the nature and site of metastasis and the Gleason score. If both are favorable, the cancer can be kept in check for many years.

In terms of metastasis, the best possible scenario at this stage is that mets are limited to lymph nodes (regional followed by non-regional). Next, if the bone is involved, the situation is better if only the pelvic bones are involved followed by bone mets limited to axial skeleton. The situation becomes progressively worse if appendicular skeleton is involved and finally visceral metastasis.

AllTime

Thanks all for the replies. It is apparently clear bone is involved from the ct scans and lymph too. The biopsy Is apparently to confirm it is from the prostate and not elsewhere.
The score will be apparent Tuesday.
Don,I'll be thinking of you.

Hi Tara and welcome. Our thoughts are with you in this difficult time for you and your Dad. I would just like to share with you, that I know a number of men in similar circumstance to your Dad. For the most part their quality of life has been good. The initiation of treatment, usually hormone therapy, can provide a potent suppressor of PCa that can last many years. Today advanced metastatic prostate cancer is managed as more of a chronic health condition, rather than an a short term acute one. So keep your chin up. Hopefully your Dad's circumstance may not be quite so bleak as you think.

best wishes,
john

Friend of mine had a PSA of greater than 1000 ten years ago. Given 3-5 years. Still going thanks to " intermittent " hormone therapy ( some experimental ). Lots of progress in this area.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS