Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Safety and side effects of 20 treatment Hypofractioned proton therapy

I had 44 treatments, and have experienced post treatment hip pain. It appears to be tissue inflammation. I had no side effects during the treatment, but I have heard the 20 treatments could have more side effects during the treatment due to the higher dose. My PSA has dropped dramatically in the year since I had treatment.

Re: Safety and side effects of 20 treatment Hypofractioned proton therapy

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I'm getting on in years, and it slipped my mind. Found you again on a board review this morning.

Complete cure means low and stable PSA ten years after treatment. To my knowledge, no recurrence has ever been reported after ten years. This is why many PC studies are terminated after ten years.

To tell you which treatments produce the highest cure rates I would need to know the risk category of your tumor. If yours is a low risk tumor, a number of treatments provide comparable cure rates, and choice of treatment is less important. For higher risk tumors, choosing the best option is very important.

The limited data I have seen shows protons performing very well. My reservation about protons is much less data over shorter follow-up periods. More patients over longer periods means higher confidence in the results. The most recent proton data I have seen is from 2012; if there have been more studies of more patients over longer periods since then, the evidence for protons may now be more solid than I have seen.

Scientifically, patient testimony is not reliable; each testimony covers one patient, who may or may not be typical, over varying periods of time. It is in the nature of disease and statistics that information gathered from large numbers of patients over long periods of time is much more reliable than individual reports.

So I want to see statistics on larger numbers of patients; the more patients and the longer the follow-up period the more reliable is the data. This is how I chose my own treatment.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS