Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calcium and Vitamin D Supplements

I was diagnosed with Gleason 9 prostate cancer in June 2013 and following this I had a robot assisted radical prostatectomy in July 2013. In September 2013 I was told that the post operative histology was T2, Gleason 4+3+5, margins negative but with a positive node. My PSA in September was 0.17 mcg/L but as this had increased to 0.38 by November, I was told that I was likely to have metastatic disease and had my first quarterly ZOLADEX implant later that month. Since then my PSA has been undetectable. I also had 33 sessions of radiotherapy in July and August 2014. In January 2015 a bone scan indicated that osteopenia was present in my spine and a weekly dose of 70 mg of ALENDRONIC ACID was prescribed. My GP has now prescribed Adcal- D3 a daily calcium and Vitamin D supplement. However I am reluctant to take this as I have read on a number of sites that these supplements should not be routinely recommended during bisphosphonate administration. I try to obtain an adequate daily intake of calcium and Vitamin D from natural sources such as nuts, oily fish, green vegetables and soya.

I would be grateful for ant advice about taking calcium and Vitamin D supplements in my situation.

Thank you for any assistance.

Lyn

Re: Calcium and Vitamin D Supplements

Bisphosphonates are problematic. They impair the ability of bone to heal,especially with higher doses and therapy extending past 2 or 3 years. I personally would never take a bisphosphonate. Calcium supplements are associated with increased cardiovascular risk and are unnecessary for bone health if you have a reasonable diet.... and adequate vitamin D. Get your vitamin D level checked. Vitamin D 5000 IU per day is a reasonable place to start. Take vitamin K2 MK4, maybe 40 - 50 mg per day. Take Magnesium Malate about 1 gram per day. You can find this information with documentation on Cureality.com and K-vitamins.com

Re: Calcium and Vitamin D Supplements

Thanks very much for the advice Jean Claude. I'll do more research on bisphosphonates before I see my oncologist again in two weeks time. I don't intend to take the supplements but to obtain adequate calcium and vitamin d from natural foods. I'll also get my calcium and vitamin d levels checked and look at the site you mentioned.

Best wishes

Lyn

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS