Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Diagnosis - Looking for Advice

Hello Rene

I have a couple of suggestions, from when I was in your situation in 2008. I'mow starting my 6th year following my Proton Radiation treatments and my PSA is 0.09. (You can find this also under my history page.)

I found a couple of books that were of great value to me. The first is by Robert Marckini, about Proton Radiation, which was my choice of treatment 6 years ago, and I went down to the Proton Center at the University of Florida at Jacksonville. Very powerful book which sent me in the right direction. Basically the proton beam travels only 1/2 of the way through the body, and when it reaches the target point in the prostate gland it explodes, instead of going completely through the body. A lame description I know but you can research a better definition.

Another book I examined was Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer. Written in 2001 and updated in 2007, I suggest this book as it is, or was, the bible regarding prostate surgery, and it provides a number of drawings of the prostate area which show how delicate this operation is. Beginning on page 273 of this 500 plus page book there are 8 drawings of the surgery required for the removal of the gland. I found it very sobering to see these drawings, believe me. And one other book from 2005 is a Primer on Prostate Cancer, written by Stephen B. Strum and Donna Pogliano.

I wish you the best of luck......

charley coryn, 77, lancing, Tn. USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS