Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cannabis research.......

Hello All

I'm not trying to overwhelm the site with nonsense, and I do have experience with the plant in question since 1959 in Mexico. I sensed back then that the plant was being condemned by governmental legislative fiat, so I decided to study it. I remember learning that the British had considerable experience with it in India, during the years of British Imperialism, since it was an important medicine in India. The British studied it, and even tried using it for surgery, but immediately noted that the dosage couldn't be correlated with the degree and depth of sedation, as compared with newer medicines. I digress......

My point is simply that Cannabis deserves respect, not ridicule. And study. What do you use for nightmares and traumatic stress? And it works with Restless Leg Syndrome too, and dries up the common cold. Did Tommy Chong really 'cure' his prostate cancer with CBD cannabis, or not? He wrote a book about it I'm told. Here, let me present some research. I found these on the internet......

1) Br J Pharmacol. 2013 Jan;168(1):79-102. doi: 10.1111/j.1476-5381.2012.02027.x.

Non-THC cannabinoids inhibit prostate carcinoma growth in vitro and in vivo: pro-apoptotic effects and underlying mechanisms.
De Petrocellis L1, Ligresti A, Schiano Moriello A, Iappelli M, Verde R, Stott CG, Cristino L, Orlando P, Di Marzo V.

2) http://www.nature.com/bjc/press_releases/p_r_aug09_6605248.html

British Journal of Cancer

Journal home > Press Releases > Jul-Sep 2009 > 12 August 2009
Press releases
CANNABIS CHEMICALS STOP PROSTATE CANCER GROWTH

3) Dr. Robert Melamede, a University of Colorado biology professor and world-renowned cannabis researcher.......

"We also painstakingly reviewed dozens of preclinical studies on cannabis. Our goal is to understand whether cannabis could be the kiss of death for cancer and a panacea for the most feared diseases on the planet.
There is no question that marijuana treats cancer symptoms, such as pain, inflammation, and nausea. The database for the National Institutions of Health has more than enough peer-reviewed studies to support this conclusion.
So let’s move on. Life is short. No need to beat around the bush.
In studies of lab tissue cultures, and preclinical trials with animals, particularly mice, the NIH medical publishers database also offers plenty of evidence that cannabis kills cancer cells while protecting normal cells.
Now for the Big Question: Does cannabis cure cancer in people?
A Miracle Cure?
“I’ve seen cures occur,” Dr. Bob said. “The most obvious ones are with skin cancer,” notably two types – basel and squamous cell carcinoma. Here, however, is where the NIH pub-med database fails.
There’s not one clinical trial of cannabis and skin cancer. Or cannabis and any other cancer. No surprise that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved cannabis for the treatment of any known medical condition.
“Topical application of Rick Simpson oil, basically, on a variety of skin cancers is very effective,” Dr. Bob said. “Once you see that happen a few times, you don’t particularly care if it’s gone through a clinical trial, especially if you’re one of those persons.”
Clinical studies on cannabis and people for decades focused on the potential dangers, and only more recently, the plant’s ability to treat cancer symptoms, but not the disease itself.
Without any clinical trials, the evidence that cannabis cures cancer in people is almost entirely anecdotal stories from medical marijuana patients who insist they benefitted from the plant.
“There are over 900 peer-reviewed articles showing that cannabinoids, in one form or another – phyto from the plant, endo from within, synthetics – that these cannabinoids have cancer-killing capacity,” said Dr. Bob.
How significant are those preclinical studies with tissue cultures and lab animals?
“How much evidence do you need to suggest that this is powerful stuff?” Dr. Bob asked. “Instead the morons around the world and in our government say, “Oh, we can’t study it properly,’ or ‘It’s too dangerous’ or ‘What about the children?’ …
“I’ve seen cannabis treat leukemias, lymphomas, stomach cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer. But it doesn’t mean it works on all of those all the time. I’ve seen successes with those various cancers, and I’ve also seen failures,” he said.

Re: Cannabis research.......

Great post- well modulated and very informative.
I updated my story on the YANA site to reflect my experiences with medical marijuana.
I will also publish my graph for inspection and comments.
We need both single subject research designs and between foup comparisons to answer the fundamental question- what rype of medical marijuana treatment regimen is most likely to be helpful with my particular type of prostate cancer?

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS