Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
casodex 150 mg daily plus 5mg finasteride

can i go off casodex my psa is steady at .1 ok to take a holiday or is this a bad idea gleason is 6 or 7? thanks for all your information happy hannaka and hapy christmas toa ll john q

Re: casodex 150 mg daily plus 5mg finasteride

Hi John,
The current literature suggests that Intermittent androgen deprivation results in a non inferior oncological efficacy when compared with continuous androgen-deprivation therapy (ADT) in well-selected populations. In other words intermittent ADT does have a place in advanced PCa treatment. Needless to say, before implementing any change, please seek the expert advice of your treating physician.

best wishes
john

Thanks John for your reply I wish you and family and friends Avery happy Christmas and healthy new year John Quinn

John Q,

You don't mention whether or not you are also taking an agonist like Lupron. Casodex blocks the androgen receptor on the prostate cancer cell and limits the ability of the cell to use testosterone to grow. Since it is not a very complete blockage, most men are on both an agonist that lowers the serum testosterone level to castrate level and casodex. The one advantage of the Casodex only treatment is the side effects are much less than an agonist. You can have a normal libedo and sexual function while on this treatment.

If you are being treated by a urologist I would suggest talking with an oncologist that specializes in prostate cancer. I don't think anyone on this forum, that is not a physician, should be telling you to stop taking a medication that a doctor prescribed for you.

Fred

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS