Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chemo Value

Hi all,

I was handed the dreaded baton of stage IV recently. And the second Oncologist that I saw. Has thrown in chemo at no extra charge, as an option. Alongside my ADT therapy I am currently undertaking. I have issues ambulating, due to the metastasizing into hip, back, legs etc. And I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on their own experiences at a similar juncture. If it helps etc. If they had given me a guesstimate of a year or less. I would just take 30mg of Prednisone daily, which I have found to greatly reduce the inflammation of the tumors. And lets me be as close to "normal" as I will ever be. ( I have the prednisone on hand from a previous condition, so I took it upon myself to try this. And only use for 5 consecutive days, so you don't have to due the taper). So if anyone can speak to the benefits of chemo for your bones. I am all ears, and would be greatful. I am 56 so I am not ready to quit walking yet. But I am wondering if the possibility of an extension of a year (which they are guessing) is worth the degradation of the quality of life that comes with chemo. I hope this does not sound like I am throwing in the towel. I am far from that. But I am just pragmatic, and want to weigh it all out, before I start putting pleasureless poison in me. I also hope. I haven't offended anyone or broken any rules of this site. As I have not read the bylaws if there are any. Thanks

Hank (from Minnesota, USA)
Hank

Re: Chemo Value

Hank,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I would like to suggest that you look up the chaarted study. There was dramatic survival benefit to combining ADT with Chemo. It is also my understanding that it reduced metastatic tumor pain. I belong to a prostate support group and a couple of guys have had ADT+ Chemo and tolerated this treatment very well.
There is an oncologist in California at Compassionate Oncology that gives chemo in low doses (3 small weekly doses per month) vs (1 large dose per month) which is typical at most oncology offices.

Best wishes,

Fred

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS