Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MultiParametric MRI and "saving" the PSA test

Hi Peter,

You're the first person I've come across who has mentioned the use of MRI FIRST to accurately diagnose PCa and what stage it is at.

And yes, it would prevent many cases of unnecessary treatment,

I have thought that was a logical, practical idea for many years now.

I wish I could have had an MRI immediately they found my PSA was 182 back in 2005.

It would have saved an invasive cystsopy under general anaesthetic and a week of pure hell in a hospital ward after the procedure.
Everything that could have gone wrong DID go wrong.

I would have been so much better off with an MRI, which would have spotted the T4 tumor and spread instantly.

In my case, I had an MRI a few weeks after I came out of the 'hell ward' in the urology department, which did give the clear picture.

Many thanks for writing up such an excellent article and the link to it.

George

England

Re: MultiParametric MRI and \"saving\" the PSA test

They want to cut down on both the number of unnecessary surgeries and all the biopsies. They calculate that they need to treat approximately 25 men with surgery or radiation to reduce a single prostate cancer death. If you figure that 80% of the biopsies are negative that means 100 biopsies and 25 prostatectomies are needed to reduce one prostate cancer death. If there weren't any complications from the biopsies and treatments, it wouldn't matter. but more than a few go quite wrong.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS