Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Enlarged Prostate effect upon PSA ?

Thanks Fred. I told my buddy what you said. He goes to see the Urologist in October.

Hi,

My own situation might be of help.

First, as others have said, an enlarged prostate DOES cause a higher PSA reading. The prostate (and, I believe, the Cowper\'s glands) are the only sources of the PSA protein in the blood. Essentially it is prostate tissue that creates PSA. The larger the prostate -- hence MORE prostate tissue -- the higher the PSA.

In my case, I had a severe case of BPH (enlarged prostate -- a benign condition). My PSA had also gone up to 5.7 or 6.4, depending on which lab being used. While the BPH may have been enough to justify the higher PSA, my uorologist also stressed that it could also be masking the presence of a prostate tumor.

Turns out he was right. I was lucky that it was a low-risk Gleason 6 tumor, but I still opted for surgery to eliminate both the cancer AND the urination problems I had been having.

So, it would definitely be wise for him to visit a urologist.

ONE CAUTION THOUGH: It would also be wise to have the expected new PSA test taken BEFORE the uro might perform a DRE (digital rectal exam). In fact, in the 2-3 days before the blood draw, do NOT: have sex, ride a bike, do strenuous exercise, have a DRE, etc. Anything that stresses the prostate can put a temporary spike into the PSA -- and he will want as true a reading as possible.

Good luck!
Chuck

Thanks for the advice Chuck. I'll let Jeff know what you said. Yes, I also had my Prostate yanked in spite of having only a Gleason 6 - and they found Gleason 7 in the post surgery analysis. I'm very glad that I chose a treatment and took care of business and moved on. Some of my buddies went the "AS" route but it basically only bought them a few extra years - and a bunch of additional stress - before surgery was necessary.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS