Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The over treatment problem

Peter whilst I agree with your PSA analogy, it is the only screening test we have to indicate possible prostate pathology. Whilst I understand your concern re unwarranted surgery being undertaken on persons with low grade tumours, we all know that physicians advise what is best for their patients. But of course that expert advice given by the physician is consistent with their training. Good luck in presenting your case to urologists.

Somehow I suspect your wish to halt unwarranted surgery may come to pass but not through the abolition of PSA screening. If advanced metastatic PCa can eventually be managed as a chronic long term disease as say diabetes, then the need for early surgical intervention decreases substantially. That day may perhaps be upon us in the not to distant future.

john

To put it another way, the Gleason 3 type (3+3) cells are only marginally more likely to turn deadly than normal prostate epithelial cells. Most men wouldn't have their normal prostates taken out, but they would have them taken out if there are Gleason 3 type cells.

Agree 100% . But who need's the education re long term implications? The patient or the urologist?

Both

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS