Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My First Post - Appreciate Feedback. on A.S.

Jay- Have you followed the steps outlined from the home page of YANA?
First step: DON\'T PANIC
I will have been on AS for five years this October, my story can be found here, updated this week.

All the best,
Roger

Yep, not panicking, but still lots of concern.

Looking for your story...

Jay,

There is a modern school of thought that Gleason 6 should not be regarded as PCa at all. Look upon it as a cell irregularity which is highly unlikely to spread and can certainly be kept under active surveillance. Judging by your words, I suspect that the ED is a result of the anxiety you understandably feel about your condition and nothing to do with the dreaded DRE. My advice is to read this site and others widely and by learning more about how to manage your very slight risk, get control of your anxiety and adopt a positive thinking approach.

Hope this helps.

OC in England

Old Codger,

Appreciate the response. Yes, I have heard there is some debate on Gleason 6 being categorized as cancer. My next round of test in Sept should provide another set of metrics to consider.

Jay

Hi Jay,

You can find my rather lengthy AS story on this site. It is one that I'll be updating shortly, but there is really nothing new to report. I have been on AS for 7 years with stats not nearly as encouraging as yours. In fact, I would say that, with your biopsy findings, you could be the poster child for AS. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. Mentoring is one of the many features that this terrific site that Terry created offers. If, after reading my story, you feel that our circumstances are just too different, then there are several other AS mentors that might be a better match. Currently, there are 83 of us on this site. Simply go to "Survivor Stories", and under "Category of Therapy Chosen" click on "Non-Invasive" and then "Active Surveillance".

Good Luck!

P.S. I have never heard of ED from a DRE. While I am no doctor, it sounds psychological (I think because it is so new and unnerving, the disease is temporarily messing with your brain).

Alan,

Thank you for your reply and offer to connect. I will read your story.

Regards,
Jason

Jay:
While there is certainly no need for panic at this point and AS appears to be a wholly appropriate choice for your circumstances, you would do well to continue your research. As a part of this effort you may find Bob Marckini's book "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer..." helpful. This book is readily available and a quick read. Its primary value to you at this point is his fairly detailed discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of the common forms of treating Pca.

In terms of your potency the following possibilities may be contributing factors:

--Stress.* A diagnosis of Pca is generally perceived by us guys as life threating and a direct attack on our core masculinity. In time depending on our circumstances we can often put this in appropriate perspective. As you may know stress and anxiety can affect our performance.

--Age. I hope I'm not the first to point out you are no longer 21.

--Physical intrusion. DRE's, infection(?),biopsy, etc.

*Review some of your YANA comments, e. g., "In a panic", "More anxiety", "My doctor thinks its mental", and "I'm a bit concerned"

Regards Don O.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS