Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Message from Terry Herbert

Terry,

I refuse to believe the worst, always have done, always will do.
Maybe it's just a coping mechanism, but it works for me.

You're our 'Mr.Indestructible' and have been here for most of us since day one of our diagnoses.
It's not over by a long chalk, my dear friend.

When I found YANA in 2005 it filled me with hope. It inspired me to go forward with confidence.
I still remember your very first email to me back then, encouraging me to fight the dire prognosis, and here I am, many years past my 'end date'.

You have done the same for hundreds of men over the years and we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude. Now we are all willing you to stay longer.
We wish you strength and the calmness and defiance to carry on your battle.

It's good that Mark is taking over the site. He's a great guy, a top man, who has done wonders helping you revamp Yana over the past few years.
You can sit back and relax, knowing that your 'baby' is in good hands.

From everyone who loves you (and I include all your crazy friends on Bollocks To PCa), stay strong Terry. We're behind you 100% all the way.
It would take a a lot to beat you!

George

England

Terry/Mark:

Your message saddens me deeply and that's about as sentimental as I intend to get. I would prefer to focus on how helpful and responsive YANA has been over the years--just as you have been on a personal basis.

You will be profoundly missed. I hoped all along that we might be able to quaff a beer or two together, i. e., either here or there. I guess it will have to be you know where.

Thank you so much for the cyber friendship you extended to me and so many others over the years.

Hi Terry,
As an old sparring partner, I two wish you good passage on the journey ahead of you. Sure we have had our moments, but I take my hat off to you re the service you have given to men with PCa. My best wishes for ending your journey in a manner that you would want.
John

Update on Terry's condition

Update from Terry's brother, Steve (visiting from Cape Town, South Africa):

===================================================================
I am sorry to have to write you a group mail but I’m sure you will understand. I arrived in Melbourne yesterday evening and Terry had come out of hospital in the afternoon. Poor man I could see he was struggling. I am glad I got here to help where I can and Anthea’s friend Judith has been a tower of strength.

Ter is very weak and although he’s lost a lot of weight he’s still a big guy for Anthea or even Anthea and I to help. The two of them made the decision that he should go into a hospice and we moved him there this afternoon. It seems a lovely place with very nice staff.

It is very difficult as you will know but we know that this is the best for Terry

Thank you from Anthea for all your messages of support.
===================================================================

Re: Update on Terry's condition

Mark,

Thank you so much for passing on Steve's message about Terry.

I hope the hospice can help build up his strength and ease his pain.

We can only imagine how Anthea must be struggling with all of this now.

George

Re: Update on Terry\'s condition

can't really find the right words. except,...thank you.

WJG

Re: Update on Terry\'s condition

I live in the U.K. and found this site 6 and half years ago. My Husband never reads anything about his prostate Cancer. He always tells his G.P. "I leave the reading up and worrying to Jennie !"
I look at this site nearly every day and when I read the post from Mark I felt such sorrow as if I was reading about someone in my family or a close friend. I felt so stupid trying to hold back tears in front of my Husband. But now after reading how others feel I am not the only one.
There aren't many people in the time that they are on this earth that "make a difference" but Terry Herbert has and I will never forget his wisdom and advice.
A very very special person, who "made a difference"
Regards
Jennie

Re: Update on Terry's condition

I hope Terry will find collective strength from the thoughts of the so many men who have found this site to be far more inspirational supportive and informative than what most medical doctors could provide.

Thanks Mark and Steve for sharing the news

Hamba kakuhle Terry

Re: Update on Terry\\\'s condition

Very distressing to read in the update of Terry's move to a hospice, which suggests, on top of Terry's own extraordinary use of the word "frail" to describe his condition, that he really is on the last stage of his journey. But what a journey! He really has done it his way. What a legacy he leaves us in this fine site! Thank you, old chap, for a life well lived and which has inspired me as nobody else has done to keep fighting this damned disease.

May your final days be peaceful in your family's bosom.

With great sadness, yet thankfulness,

OC in England

Re: Update on Terry\\\\\\\'s condition

This website was where I first turned to when I was diagnosed. It really helped me make my decision and I took a great deal of comfort out of reading all the stories. God bless you Terry, thank you so much for what you've done. If there's a heaven, I'm sure you'll be there.

I have tears in my eyes as I feel like I’m losing an old friend. Terry, I thank you for your inspiration, guidance, and for creating this vitally important site, which you devoted your heart and soul to. You can feel immensely proud of the legacy that you will leave behind, and I hope you know how proud all of your YANA family is in you. I know that you are leaving this site in capable hands, but in my mind it will forever be Terry’s YANA. I will most certainly make a donation in your honor. You have fought the good fight, on your own terms, and won as far as I am concerned, in that you lived much longer than “the experts” thought that you would. I am not an overly religious man, but I say with all sincerity “God Bless You!”

When so many of us were diagnosed & seeking information of fellow travellers, YANA was there for us. Somewhere we could find cases to compare details with & see different approaches. And to read of so many other journeys both long & short. Comforting that we were not alone and educational in exchanging ideas. All down to Terry having the idea one day that much was lacking in the P.Ca world for patients. Not just thinking about this but getting on and setting up the site.

You have given so much time Terry and words cannot really thank you enough.
I can only wish you a peaceful passing and the thought you have achieved so much with the website. Long may it continue to help the thousands of men & their families as it has in the past.

Rob

Terry,

What can I say but you're still my hero. A person that has managed his own life, his own way, and I salute you. I am a Religious man and I will pray for you and wish you and your family all of God's blessings. We have exchanged many emails over the years and you've always been there for me each and every time I needed guidance or help, thank you from the bottom of my heart. We have never met but I will miss you dearly.

The Stranger

Terry, remember it is in giving that you receive and you have given so much.
God Bless and THANK You.
Joe H Queensland

I can't add much to what has already been posted. This site is the best (and I am a moderator on another PCa site here in the US!) and we all have been blessed for having Terry as a mentor and information provider on YANA. My take away from Terry's mentoring is simple...courage and strength--I now have much more of both due to Terry and YANA. God Bless Terry.

Allen Z in California

This is one of the sites that I learned so much from when I was first diagnosed.

Thank you for everything.

Best of luck.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS