Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rising PSA 7 years after EBRT

Mark:
I have been wrestling with(therefore conducting research relative to)a rising PSA for several years. In order to determine whether or not you are experiencing a recurrence you will need to undergo screening of one type or another.
My research strongly suggests that if and when you have been medically diagnosed with recurrent cancer a doubling of your PSA in a year or less is "more worrisome" than a slower ascending PSA.
I have documented my experience in an online journal. You may find some of the subject matter helpful; see: http://protondon.blogspot.com/
If you take the time to check it out I will be available to answer any questions that arise.
Best wishes Don O.

Hey Don
Thank you for your reply
I will check out your blog
Cheers
Mark

Hey fellas,
Just an update..
My PSA at last test had risin to 3.3 suggesting biochemichal reccurrance.
Getting bone scans etc,etc soon.
Hopefully hasn't metastised yet.
Will keep you informed.
Mark

Hey fellas
Just an update that my last PSA reading taken May 8th,2014 was 3.3.
This is suggestive of biochemical recurrence of my PCa.(Not the news I was hoping for!)Next step is to see the Urologist and schedule screening tests to try and determine where the cancer has reocurred.
I would really welcome and appreciate anybody's thoughts and experiences.
Mark

Mark:
I assume you read about my experience with a rising PSA based on our earlier exchange of information. I remain available to answer any questions you might have.
Best wishes Don O.

Mark - rising PSA after a prostatectomy or radiation is pretty common, even many years later as in your case. It generally referred to as biochemical failure, but it doesn't necessarily meant that things have changed for the worse. As Don points out the key is PSA doubling time. Less than a year is worrisome, but greater than 3 years probably means it is just some residual early stage prostate cancer cells slowly chugging away. There isn't much you can do about it other than worry. Since the numbers bounce around a lot due to random noise, you probably should wait to get a few more PSA tests to decide what the doubling rate is. There is no life endangering penalty for delaying the next step in treatment (hormone therapy). Dealing with the urinary symptoms is probably something that needs more immediate attention.

Hey Peter,
Thanks for your reply to my post. Unfortunately, my cancer has not only returned in the prostate, but an MRI and a bone scan has showed a lymph node involvement and mets in my pelvis. However,despite all this bad news, my oncologist was reassurring and said that hormone treatment can control it, perhaps for many years. He will wait and see what my PSA does over the next 3 months, and then decide on when to start treatment. So,I'm just getting on with my life,staying positive, drinking Japanese green tea daily,along with Soy, Vitamin E,Selenium supplements, watching my diet and just taking it a day at a time. I will shortly update my story on YANA. Please keep in touch,you can email if you like.
Cheers,
Mark

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS