Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New diagnosis

Randy, thank you for the post. Very encouraging to me. I am looking at the robotic surgery, Dr. Brian link in Oklahoma City, has done 700 of them. I wish I could find out more information, but it appears he has done quite a few. In your opinion, does this qualify as a experience surgeon? It is very difficult to find out information on these doctors. I did go and consult with him, and he seemed very confident. Best of luck to you, and thank you for taking the time to reply. I very much appreciate it.

After looking at all angles, I have decided on removing my prostate. That was a big hurdle to cross, but feel most comfortable with this decision. Now I am faced with the decision to use DaVinci method or have my urologist do an open procedure. Here is my delima: The surgeon I am seeing says he prefers open, and he did a friend of mine 10 years ago with outstanding results. But he is getting older and does not do as many as he used to. ( has done about 400 total) The Dr that does the Davinci (Dr. Brian Link in Oklahoma City) Has done over 700 of these (the most in Oklahoma) What is your advice? Can you reasearch Dr Brian Link and Dr Richard Herlihy? I can't find much other than generic. I want to be sure I get the best treatment. Both seem very confident. Any help is apprciated.

From my reading it would seem like open may be slightly better IF the surgeon is a top one - tricky definition. Otherwise a highly recommended and experienced robotic surgeon may be preferable. I had an open surgery after switching from an older experienced surgeon to a younger more modern (and reputed to be gifted) one and am very glad that I made that choice. He did the operation in 48 minutes vs likely a 4 hour operation with the older fellow. No real pain afterwards other than one episode of gas afterwards. Spent 48 hours in the hospital. I agree with your decision to get rid of the cancer one way or another given your particulars. One needs to walk a lot after the surgery to reduce gas - and to speed recovery. Take laxatives afterwards and have a bunch of books ready to read.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS