Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Not a Surgery Candidate

Sounds as if you have thoroughly explored your options and you have a few things going in your favor. If you choose protons you may find my ongoing Internet journal helpful; see http://protondon.blogspot.com/
Best wishes. Don

Met with the radiologist today. Did final fitting and scan. He was pleased with the previous image results because they showed some viable routes for treatment. All the material will also be sent to the PBR team and they will also map out their strategy for treatment. They will all meet next week to compare treatment approaches and potential risks . I've got an appointment on 4/21 to hear their conclusions. Hurry up and wait! But it seems their doing their due diligence.

jww:
More progress! Impressive!
All of us will be interested in what you decide and your rationale for the choice you make.
It may be helpful to write a few questions for each team prior to your meetings. Too many times these kinds of appointments develop in unexpected ways and important points get lost in the shuffle.

Best wishes Don O.

Looks like it is PBT pending insurance approval.
Prior to the plans being constructed, alot of scans of the risky area were done and they were able to do pretty precise mapping. Proton is able to map out a treatment that totally avoids that area. I will be doing the 8 week program, and cannot do the 4 because higher dose is a risk for my clinical factors. FYI, I asked about the 30% higher incidence of bowel morbidity for PBT vs IMRT. They told me the base population of Proton participants has a similarly higher number of those that have had prior bowel issues, which might account for the difference.In either case the actual percentage is rather low.I'm comfortable with the process the doctors followed and glad to have a lowest risk option available. However, kind of dimayed to be classified in a higher risk category due to a pre existing condition. All things aside, I'm glad to have reached a decision and greatly appreciate all the support and information from Yana!

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS