Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bicycling on AS

I started bicycling a couple of years ago for fun and exercise. Today, I bike an hour a day (approximately 5 miles) on most dry days throughout the year, including the winter. I have been on AS since my diagnosis in 2007, and have often wondered about the effect of biking on my tumor(s). I know that you should refrain from biking before a PSA test because it will temporarily raise your level. Now I know that PSA is not PCa specific, and that the rise in your PSA from cycling does not necessarily mean that your tumor(s) are being aggravated by the pressure the bike saddle puts on your perineum. However, I've never been able to find any literature to tell me one way or another if your tumor(s) are being adversely affected by the experience.

So, just to be on the safe side, I decided to change to a more "prostate-friendly" bike saddle. The first one I tried had an opening in the middle to relieve the pressure on your perineum, but I found myself shifting to one side, which caused the saddle to still contact my perineum. I swapped that saddle for one that basically has two pads for your butt to sit on and nothing but space in the middle.

On Friday, after biking every day for over a week, I took my bike out for an hour and stopped by the lab on the way home. Yesterday, I got the results back, and I am pleased and relieved to say that my score was 1.4 (basically the same as it has been for the last four years).

I am writing this to possibly help someone who has had the same concerns. I am in no way pushing bike saddles, and that is why I will not mention the product by name. In fact, there are a few choices out there that use this same basic design. If you Google for information, I am sure you can learn about them as I did. Still, if somebody wants specifics, you can contact me directly at alhst1cpc625@gmail.com. That way the forum is not seen as being used to promote a particular product.

AlanM in the USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS