Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Surgery vs other options

Another agreement here. I live far from you but I came for robotic surgery in Waukesha Wisconsin in 2007. Northwestern was an option I considered. My stats were similar, PSA 7.1, Gleason 4+3, all cancer on left side. The surgeon indicated that my chances of capsule contained were roughly 50%, prior to the operation. All went very well but a single small positive margin remained after the surgical results were analyzed. So I went into adjuvant radiation 3 months after the surgery. It was not difficult. Since then I've been in great health and have no sign of PSA in my blood tests. I'm fortunate. Don't delay, but do check other options, make yourself knowledgeable if you can, before deciding on surgery and a specific surgeon.

My original urologist told me that I'd probably come out cured, and would feel like I just dodged a bullet. But I needed to act and that he'd support me in whatever choice of treatment I chose. He was an impersonal guy but did very well by me. Said the whole experience might make me more appreciative of life.
I think so.

My local urologist was very personable and for months told me what I wanted to hear. He was leading me down a dark hole. My new urologist at UCLA was not as personable but laid out the facts. He was great. An excellent surgeon. He was more like a mechanic. My point in responding is to let others know that picking a urologist (surgeon) should not be based on personality.

I am 68 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Gleason 7a (3+4), PSA = 9.1. A more detailed description complete with an abstract of the biopsy report is available on Yananow under the category "uncommon, experimental", and the name "RICK E E".
I have been offered the opportunity to be involved in a clinical trial . If I am able to "pass" the various tests listed below and can show that I indeed have "unifocal" prostate cancer, I will then have just the tumor removed leaving the balance (maybe 2/3? of the prostate) intact and functional. I feel that if I don't avail myself of this opportuninty now it may have passed me by forever.
I also feel that I should treat this cancer NOW especially since there is a relatively small component that is grade 4. This newer therapy is a much less radical approach than we have seen in the past. If this cancer was Gleason 6 (3+3) I might take the watch and wait route.
Tests that I would be scheduled to have include : "a pelvic phased array coil and injection of contrast dye to perform : Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI (DCE-MRI)" and an "MR Elastography" + an "11C-choline PET/CT" + an "Ultrasound Elastography" + a "Three-dimentional transperineal mapping saturation biopsy", NONE of which would be available under standard protocol for any prostate procedure in Canada that I'm aware of. The ONLY diagnosis available in standard protocol are DRE, PSA and a possible CAT scan along with a bone scan and this leads to the ONLY therapy procedures available that I'm aware of on the standard protocol are RP, EBRT, or Brachytherapy which will all be whole gland therapies. It is my understanding that any so-called "focal" therapy is considered "experimental" in Canada and may also be in some other countries as well . If these tests were to confirm "unifocal", intraprostatic cancer in less than half of one "lobe", I would be implanted with the prescribed amount of LDR seeds required to ablate the focal tumor only (plus a "surgical margin") while leaving the balance of the gland intact and functional with hopefully decreased morbidity/side effects. There are numerous follow-ups involved such as future PSA tests every three months, MRI's once a year for the next two years, and one further saturation biopsy two years down the road.

My question is simply this : Does this regimen sound like a sound approach or am I leaving too much to chance in regards to a possible recurrence later on? Any input would be valued.

Rick,

Go for it. Nothing you describe prevents further curative or palliative measures being taken later on if necessary and you may advance the science no end in taking part in this process.

Good Luck

OC in England

Thanks for the reply Old Codger! I think I will go for it! Couldn't do much better me thinks. Again, thanks - Rick PS I will update my postings when I have any other info.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS