Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
RE: Dad Just Diagnosed with Stage IV Metastasis to Bones only

G'day Tom

Sorry to hear of your father's diagnosis. Prostate cancer is an unusual disease with no rules and for that reason alone no one involved should ever despair because for every tale of woe there is a positive one.

Can I suggest you go along to SURVIVOR STORIES and select Gleason 9 before hitting the Search Button. That will give you a list of about 90 men who were diagnosed with a Gleason 9 and who shared their stories. Some have passed on - Gleason 9 is often associated with aggressive disease. But not all diseases are equal and you'll see people like Bob Parsons, diagnosed in 2002 and still with us. Check out the Gleason 10 men as well and you'll see Doug Adams, diagnosed in 1991 and still updating his story.

I'm not downplaying your father's potential position, but the relatively small amount of disease you report and the relatively low PSA level (Roy White diagnosed with Gleason 10 in 2008 had a PSA of 7,000.00 - yes that's seven thousand!)He last update his story last month.

I hope these stories help you understand the very wide variety of outcomes and help you realise that not all are bad in the short term.

All the best
Terry in Australia

RE: Dad Just Diagnosed with Stage IV Metastasis to Bones only

Please see my husband's story under need an opinion. Not exactly like your father but his prognosis wasn't good at time of diagnosis and he is still here 10 years later with good quality of life. Psa is rising and we say he just doesn't look good on paper.
We will be thinking of you and will keep your DAD in our prayers. We have a 44 year old son who we encourage to monitor his psa closely. I would recommend you do the same.
Roberta

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS