Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: need an opinion

Don,
We thank you for your responses.
John saw the urologist on Thursday. He was concerned in the psa rise but left it up to us as to what do do at present. I mentioned getting scans but he didn't seem to think that was of much value. He said the treatment would be the same no matter what they showed.
John did have a bone scan last July which was negative. His medical oncologist ordered that. He is much more likely to do testing so we opted to wait until our April appointment and see what the psa is. Then if it is still going up John will opt for treatment.
In the meantime I have started him back on pomegranate extract capsules. He had been drinking the juice for several years but really didn't like the taste so he started to drop off. Seems that's about the time the psa started up. Probably a coincident but who knows?
I got the extract capsules at the GNC and he is taking that and I have a jug of juice in the fridge , as well. Also trying to get back to better diet. Had begun to slack off in that area too.
Just wondering if you are on any supplements?
I have read your story on YANA and have started reading your blog.
Again, thanks for your response. If you have any other thoughts they would be welcome.
This is a great site. I met a woman from Chicago on the site about 8 years ago when her husband was diagnosed. We have become good friends and keep in touch via E-mail.
Best of luck to you.
John & Roberta

Re: need an opinion (Supplement Information)

Hi Roberta,

I am going to step in for a moment to try to save you some money on the GNC pomegranate extract. I buy mine from puritanspride.com where they are currently running a buy 2, get 3 free promotion. Also, I should note that this company runs sales like this almost all the time, despite the fact that they may give you the impression that it is a limited time offer.

Here is a comparison: GNC sells GNC Herbal Plus® Standardized Pomegranate 50 Capsules (item number 198411) for $13.99 (or the member price of $12.59), plus they offer a buy 1, get 1 at 50% off promotion. Puritans Pride sells 120 capsules (item number 13567) under the above listed promotion at a rate of 5 for $43.18.
As you can see, that would be a significant savings for you in that Puritans Pride’s pom extract costs just over 7 cents a pill while GNC’s cost is 19 cents a pill. It is important to note that I have checked the ingredients of both and they are exactly the same.

As a side note, you may find that while some people on the site believe in and take supplements, others will tell you that they are a total waste of money. For what it's worth, I believe that if they have been shown to POSSIBLY do some good (in, albeit, small studies), and at the same time showed no evidence of doing any harm, then why not take them.

To close, I do take three other prostate supplements which fit the criteria in the last sentence above. It may be interesting to note that I do not buy these from Puritans Pride. Instead, I get them from Amazon because they are made by Life Extension Foundation. When I made a comparison with Puritans Pride products, the LEF supplements in these three cases were superior. If you (or anybody else) is interested in what these three supplements are, you can respond with your e-mail address and I will send the information out to you.

I hope this helps. Good luck,

AlanM in the USA

P.S. I also drink 8 ounces of a drink (made by Langers) that consists of 20% pomegranate juice just in case there is something in the juice that is not in the pills.

Re: need an opinion

John and Roberta:
I do not wish to second guess your urologist, so I won't.
Yes, I am on supplements as prescribed by Dr. "Snuffy" Myers.
My protocol is described in two journal entries (1) "A Miracle in the Making?" and (2) as later modified in "Hormone Lite".
I agree this is a great site. I have been helped time and time again and do my best to pass it forward.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS