Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prostate 28.5 grams IPSS 27/28 Otherwise very healthy. BPH be the cultprit?

I understand "assessing" prostate size is a very inexact science, certainly not as exact as your score suggests - i.e., between 28 and 29 grams. It could easily be twice as big. If you get a blood test and your PSA reading is "normal", breathe again, but keep getting treated for BPH in mind!

Here's the info I sent to Scionti using his website contact feature:

Have you been diagnosed with prostate cancer - Yes

When were you diagnosed - 05/13/2013

What was your PSA at the time of the diagnostic - 6.74

What was your highest Gleason score - 3 + 3 = 6

What was the date of your biopsy - 04/30/2013

Size of Prostate - 28.5

Current PSA and PSA History
Dec 2001 1.4
July 2003
1.7 Aug 2005

2.3 Aug 2011
5.3 Mar 2012 5.1 2

Nov 2012 - 6.74
1 Feb 2013 - 6.95
21 Mar 2013 - 7.40; %free PSA 7.
21 June 2013 - 7.74
7 Oct 2013 - 5.93 (10-day water fast 2 - 12 Sept; refeeding, very low on carbs, no wine/beer)

Comments, Questions
BPH problems increasing apace. IPSS score 27 or 28, a year ago it was 22. The time for self-cathing is close but I'd rather avoid that. . 37 core transperineal biopsy 4/30/2013. 2nd opinion Oppenheimer (Nashville) agrees with the 1st basically: cancer on right side only. Right anterior base - 60% of tissue;right anterior mid - 10%; right anterior apex - 15%; right posterior mid - 3%. Hoping to avoid ED. That means focal therapy. Right down your alley.

Dr. Scionti responds: Given the size of your prostate your peeing problems cannot be ascribed to BPH.

I'm mystified. He's the expert but still, I don't know what to make of what he said.

BPH and prostate cancer are not mutually exclusive: they can co-exist.

You say you had a 37 core biopsy. What comments were made concerning BPH in the samples. That would give you an excellent pointer as to the likelihood of BPH being involved. I'd be very surprised it if was.

Have you run any tests for infections - are their any signs of infection. That can 'gum up the works'.

All the best Terry in Australia

Terry Herbert
BPH and prostate cancer are not mutually exclusive: they can co-exist.

You say you had a 37 core biopsy. What comments were made concerning BPH in the samples. That would give you an excellent pointer as to the likelihood of BPH being involved. I'd be very surprised it if was.

Have you run any tests for infections - are their any signs of infection. That can 'gum up the works'.

All the best Terry in Australia

Ayyy, there's the rub, Terry. The comments section of the first lab merely notes procedural info about the method of evaluation. The second lab's comment: Four of twelve tissue cores involved with adenocarcinoma. Nothing further. I do not know if, when BPH is involved, either of these labs do include that kind of information in their lab reports.

Just prior to the biopsy I had a 30-day course of Cipro.

Let me ask - Is it the size of my prostate (28.5 grams) that would make you doubt that BPH is involved?

When speaking of my bladder after the biopsy I asked my uro if he thought a cystoscopy would be in order. He said no, he already knew enough about my bladder from the ultrasound he did during the bioposy. At the time I didn't know enough to press him for more information. The deal is that I'm scheduled for cryo with him in 6 days and I'm beginning to get antsy about that because the diagnostics feel incomplete to me.

mikal in NCarolina

I had a "nub" or anatomical growth into the urethra opening, which was the cause of my urinary symptoms. Discovered on an ultrasound as part of my planning for treatment. Shrinkage from treatment down to 23cc did not alter that physical obstruction, had to be removed by laser.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS