Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: mother inlaw is interfering

it would benefit him to have her come I guess although im not sure she has not been very impt in our lives he feels its not necessary for her to come but he can understand why she wants to to come hes doing this more for her sake when it should be the other way around

You have been through a lot, you will get through this too! Let us know how it goes.
Best wishes Don O.

Stacey,

Your husband needs you to be as calm and strong as you can possibly be at this time. It won't help him to have two ladies scrapping or even for there to be an atmosphere between you. Hide your feelings, is my advice, grin and bear it and get through to the other side of this as easily as you can. Your mother in law will be out of the way again after the procedure and you can relax. Your husband is the important one at this time - others' feelings must be secondary. I'm sure you'll both be supportive. Good Luck.

Ed in England

thanks she sure is not making it easier at this time I wonder if we will all fit in the car to go to the hospital

Stacey, I was just wondering if you are a mother?

yes I am and I can understand how she feels but I would not act out in this way

he told her it would be best if she would stay with a nearby relative she acted like she didn't hear him and said shes coming to support us shes coming for herself she completely ignored his feelings which is why he never likes seeing her alays has to be guilted into it we made up about the previous incident but I resent the fact that shes invading our house at this time nothing I can do about it though

Hi Stacey,

If you are still there checking for additional responses on this forum, I have this to say. To begin with, I largely agree with the other readers who responded to your post, particularly the words of Ed Netta who stressed the importance of peacefully co-existing (to the best of your ability) at this difficult time for your husband….because, IMO, it is wrong to try to keep a mother away from her son at a time that you must realize is difficult for her as well. After all, you said it yourself. She has lost a daughter to cancer and has another suffering with it; so she must be very distraught.

That being said, the one thing that you can do (after your husband is on the road to recovery and doing as well as can be expected) is to stop being a doormat for your mother-in-law and stick up for yourself. For example, distraught or not, her comment to you that you want your husband's cancer to spread was way out of line and you should let her know that in no uncertain terms. However, it would be best for your husband's sake to either ignore it (for now), or confront her in private and stress to her how her mean-spiritedness is creating that tense atmosphere that you want to avoid for his sake. In that way, you may be able to guilt her into keeping her mouth shut. Later, after your husband is doing okay, IMO, you should absolutely not ignore these uncalled for and mean-spirited remarks. To do so, invites her to continue to put you down and make you feel bad about yourself. Lastly, you should not worry about losing your husband to your mother. I don't see the hospital visit doing that. As you said, his relationship with her is strained as it is and you have been a solid team for 23 years. Even if they were to become closer as a result, unless he's a mama's boy, he is not going to become closer to his mother than he is to you. The same goes for when you stick up for yourself and he becomes aware of the incident. Any man who loves his wife, and has his priorities in order, is going to choose her first and his mother second when you explain how you were wronged and are looking for his support.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Alan M in the USA

my husband told his sister what was going on my sister spoke to her told her she was doing nothing but hurting her son by going on this way and creating more stress for her son im going to tell her if she wants her son to be closer to her this is not the way to go about it ,my husband does not want to feel torn between me and his mother he does not want to be in the middle I will keep my mouth shut for the few days she is here but once he is better I will tell her how out of line she was I told her the other day already

don't know what I can do shes staying with us till hes home from the hospital he told her it would be easier if she stayed wit nearby relatives and visited him after he was home but no she acted like she didn't hear him and then he handed the phone tome and put it on my lap so had to say okay not that I had a choice any ideas on how the stress level down his surgery is Saturday in the mean time I find myself running around shopping for food for her etc

anyone have any ideas as to how to deal with her without getting my husband caught in the middle she really does not listen to anyones feelings

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS