Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confused by Urologist and Doctors

Hi. Love this site.
Prior to 2006 my psa was 1.5 but not sure of date
In 2007 I started having checks and from 2008 till now my psa has constantly been in range of 3.5 to max 5.0 but when above 4.2 has been due to intercourse.
I regularly check but these tests in 2007 till now have been in Norway, Uk, Korea and now Australia as I am expat but always about 3-4.0
DRE has always been negative, volume of prostrate is 27 in May 2011.
In May 2011 via urologist in UK he arranged new 3TTT mri which is having good results. At this time my psa was 5.2 after intercourse. No tumours and if there is any sign then would be very low grade.
In 2012 and 13 in Korea all psa was under 4.
I had test this week im Australia and was 4 with psa free at 15%.
Normal DRE again.
from 2007 when starting overseas I put on weight, had high stress, drank lots coffee and alchol and in start 2013 all blood tests for liver, cholesterol etc were high. Good news is now all are under normal range other than the psa at 4.0 and this come down from 5.1, 4 weeks earlier but in Korea.
Doctor in Australia whicb is my new doctor as my normal one retired says that 4.0 is not good and urgently wishes me to see urologist even though the UK Urologist for 3TTT mri said I would most likely die of old age before getting cancer.
I am 52 and now moving overseas again.
would the alcohol and drinking plus weight gain impact psa?
As this was only real change from 2007?
I did have 4 hernias done in 2009?
Also I take chondotin with Glucosomine since 1994 and found article that chondrotin can impact psa results so I stopped taking this end 2012.
I am trying to see urologist but they all fully booked.
Would appreciate any comments and no I have not had any biopsy as urologist in UK preferred the 3TTT.

Re: Confused by Urologist and Doctors

Dean,

I reckon your UK urologist hit the nail on the head. Nothing in your note suggests that you have PCa. PSA can rise with age, just as Pca develops with age. A level of 4.0 at 60 would be regarded as normal, I think. If all tests have been negative as you state, stop worrying and get on with your life. You are miles away from being a suitable case for treatment!

Best wishes

Ed in England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS