Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
firnagon shot

i had firmagon shots 3 i think i have nodules or hardening round the area inside skin or muscle is this common? thanks to all for all the great information you all are giving over the years john q

Re: firnagon shot

Since no one responded to John's question, he mailed me directly. This is what I said in my reply:

John I cannot say that I recall hearing of this problem. I had a quick search for ‘side effects of Firmagon’ and these two sites came up Firmagon Side Effects and Firmagon Side Effects Center both mention “.....a hard lump where the medicine was injected.” (that’s from the first link and "The most frequently reported adverse reactions at the injection sites were pain (28%), erythema (17%), swelling (6%), induration (4%) and nodule (3%)." from the second. It seems you might be in a minority but that the nodules are not unexpected.

I am always happy to help anyone, but sometimes it is very much easier to get a quick answer to a question by doing a little research.

Terry in Australia

its great to hear from someone who tells it like it is thanks a lot doctors only tell one half yhe stuff experience people like you are a real blessing to all of us john q thanks

John,

I've had many Firmagon shots, which always caused the pain around the injection site just as you described it, i.e., inflammation and hardening which took a week or two to ease up. At first, I would get a flu-like reaction, with chills and aching all over. Luckily, that lasted only one day. But as I got more shots, I no longer experienced that symptom. I recently ended a short vacation from the shots and something unusual happened As usual, when resuming shots I have to take two shots at the same time. This was on July 2 and I mentioned to the nurse who was giving the shot that this was going to ruin my July 4th holiday (here in the U.S.). When I got home I took two Tylenols instead of the usual one. I didn't take the Benedryl . I'll be darned, I didn't get the redness nor the rock at the injection site. There was no discomfort at all. Nothing. A piece of cake. However, my suspicious nature tells me the dosage was incorrect. I'll mention it to the doctor when I get my next shot.

Jack from Jersey

Follow up to my post

I did describe to my doctor my non-reaction to the last two shots (taken during the same visit) . I jokingly asked if it was a placebo and he assured me it was not, witness the hot flashes I still get. I get mild flashes 3, maybe 4 times a day and they last two minutes. That's in addition to the flush I get when I take niacin twice a day,which I'd much rather take than, say, coumadin

Jack

Re: firnagon shot free training for Drs & nurses

Glad there was no pain this time. The manufacturer will send any Dr. training DVDs and even send an experienced nurse (to any Drs office including Kaiser) to demonstrate the injection on you. Mixing and not waiting to inject too long after completing 5 minutes of swishing (not shaking up-and-down) to mix are critical along as are the angle and depth (supposed to go under the skin with no blood when syringe pulled back a bit)http://www.ferringpromise.com/ 1-855 uro services 1-855-876-7378.
It is worth a testosterone test to be sure its working at under 20ng testosterone. You can also have DHT tested; not sure if Proscar is needed or not to bring DHT to undetectable levels.
All the best, Tom Hamilton, age 50 PSA 0.2 recurred 6 years after Da Vinci prostatectomy surgery (PSA .02 at year 3 doubling every 6 months). I am taking Bioresponse B-DIM to stabilize my PSA, it worked great for 1st 6 months but now rising again at month 8 (back to PSA 0.2).

The manufacturers nurse told me that the drug gets much thicker after injection (perhaps a solid?). More info at
http://www.ferringpromise.com/ You can ask a nurse at 1-855 uro services 1-855-876-7378

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS