Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One year on Active Surveillance so far.......

Well, it's been just over a year on active surveillance. So far so good, I say. My PSA is tested every three months, and I am due for the yearly TRUS biopsy next week (June 18th).

Diagnosed May 2012 (PSA 2.8), Gleason score of 6 (3 + 3), verified by second review of biopsy slides, 3 out of 12 cores positive, at 10%, 15%, and 25% (the 25% one was right out of the identifiable tumor spot). Two positives on one lobe, one on the other.

Since my diagnosis PSA of 2.8, the follow ups have been 1.7, 1.25, 1.5 and 1.6 (pre-diagnosis were 1.0 and 1.6). Those numbers, in my opinion, come from a healthy diet and excercize. I also believe the 2.8 was a false high (for reasons stated in "My Story" here on YANA).

My life is normal in every way, even better since diagnosis as I am experiencing the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. With AS, you need to deal with the "crap!, I have cancer" mentality and worry. I don't worry much, and feel as in control as I can be.

Since my Dad passed away in the Summer of 2011, I have found an ocean of will power, that I did not have before. That has helped me greatly in these times. I call on it often (going out for my daily walk in a rainstorm in about 20 minutes. minor example, I know, but an example nonetheless!)

my story is somewhat complicated in that, as of February 2009, I was on testosterone therapy (TT). my original Uro was not willing to keep me on it post-diagnosis. after 9 days "cold turkey" I was ready to stop caring (it was the worst thing I had ever experienced in my life!) I found a Uro that would, and in so doing, realized the old "testosterone ---> PCa" relationship in not current thought as amongst the more current, up to date, practitioners.

feel free to chat about AS, ask me any questions if you want. I credit this website as amongst the things that helped me make this decision.

Walt

Re: One year on Active Surveillance so far.......

Hi Walt: Congrats, my case is very similar to yours except my last 3 PSA have been 3.16, 3.29, and 3.23. I was Dx in August 2012 and have been on AS since. My anniversary is coming up on Aug 3rd, but I have not decided on a repeat Bx. I am hoping to do another Color Doppler Ultrasound, and based on the results decide whether a Bx is needed. I have been doing PSA every 3 months, Color Doppler Ultrasound at 6 months.

I have asked my doctor to order a Prolaris test, he just faxed in my order today. You might want to look into it. Another comparable test just came out (Onco DX), however Prolaris may have better chance of getting reimbursed by the insurance company.

Akai

thanks for the reply! sorry for the delayed response. for some reason the "e-mail notification" is not working for me.

my biopsy result was good & bad. :(

Positive cores were down to 2/12 (down from 3/12) and the tumor percentages were the same or less. However the Gleason increased to a 7 (3 + 4).

sending pathology slides out for a 2nd opinion today. I need some prayers. :-)

Walt

the 2nd (and 3rd!) opinion was told to me last night over the phone by my URO. the hospital pathologist was wrong!!! my Gleason remains a 3+3!!!!!!

the expert pathologist came to that conclusion, and the 3rd opinion was from a pathologist at John's Hopkins! (I did not even know they were sending it for a 3rd opinion there! but am am pleased!).

so, after a year, I punched back! I'm winning so far. Not going to get cocky. just going to keep up the hard work with exercise and healthy eating.

forgot to add (verified today with visit to my treating URO), that the 2 positive cores were 10% and less that 5%!!!!

I am ecstatic. :)

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS