Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: For those on Active watching

I agree with you Jon, money clouds validity, especially in the WSJ who pump and dump companies constantly. However, it may provide another data point, that along with PSA monitoring, DRE, Prostate MRI, Color Doppler may help lead someone to a better informed decision.

Even the recommendation of AS, is it a way to save medical costs or unnecessary side-effects? Perhaps both

All the best to you and yours

Jon,

Read your post with interest, and that you have been on AS for 7 years. What was your initial Gleason score, how many cores were positive, at what percentages, and what was and is your PSA?

I was diagnosed in May 2013, with Gleason 3+3=6, T1c, 5 of 12 positive cores, at 5, 10, 15, 40 & 50%, and a PSA of 4.5. A second opinion on the biopsy suggested a bit of 3+4 in one core, so I'm awaiting an opinion from Estein/Johns Hopkins.

For most of the summer, I was committed to AS, but now I am beginning to waver. Here's why: 1) Five cores, including two at 40% and 50%, suggest that there is not an "insignificant" amount of cancer. 2) My PSA has been steadily rising for about the past 5 years, from 2.5, 3.2, 3.5, 3.9 and 4.5 in the past four years. 3) If i end up needing treatment, and surgery in particular, any growth in my cancer would further compromise the chances of success of nerve-sparing (because the surgeon would need to cut closer to the nerves). 4) Almost one-third of Gleason 6s turn out to be 7s, which is less ideal for AS.

As a "quality of life" guy, I had long held to the belief I was in that vast majority of men who would be able to outlive their PC (I am 58), but lately have begun to have my doubts.

thanks,

slappy

Slappy, as I said on the other forum, get that extra opinion on the biopsy slides. until then, you can't make a good call on this.

Walt

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS