Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSA Treatment

Bob,

At lest two of the good doctors you mention support AS (Active Surveillance) in principle in appropriate cases - low PSA being one measure. I have never understood why they inist that 'earlier the better'; 'treat as soon as PSA shows it's head' is appropriate in one set of circumstances but not the other.

Surely Strum's mantra ASSESS STATUS BEFORE DETERMINING STRATEGY applies in all circumstances, not just on initial diagnosis?

All the best
Terry in Australia

Gosh Bob, what a thoughtful and informative posting. I am going to clip it and store it and it'll be a valued resource if I find myself with those sorts of issues in the future.

My husband is in a similar situation. He had his surgery in 2004. His psa at that time was only 4.2
The final pathology report showed that both seminal vesicles were involved and he was diagnosed as T3B.
His psa stayed down for about one year. Then he had 32 radiation treatments. Again he did OK for about 2 years. Then the psa started to climb again until it reached 1.2 It stayed there fro several years. Last June it began to climb again. He has it checked every three months. Last one was in March and it was 3.2 Both his urologist and oncologist are holding off on any other treatment right now. He had a bone scan last month which was negative and he feels good.
I am a registered nurse and I read as much as I can about PC. There are many different opinions. More than looking at a number (10) both of John's doctors are watching his doubling time.
YANA is a great site.
Best of luck to you.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS