Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ultrasensitive PSA reading

John,
Google bone niche and prostate cancer. There has always been this mystery why prostate cancer can come back after 10 or 15 years after treatment. A new theory is that some PC cells hide out in the bone niche and the body keeps cells in "hibernation" there but calls them out when required. After many years the body calls them out not knowing that they are cancer cells and the cancer can start up again. A good reason to always keep getting your PSA checked every year.

I hope I am getting this right here with this post....
Anyway I have been cancer free since 2003 after a radical prostatectomy and f/u radiation. Now my PSA Rreadings since that time have been <0.1.
I have been 9+ years clean and my urologist just sent me for an ultrasensitive PSA and the reading was 0.07 (which is less than 0.1) however his initial feeling was a tad concerned and I of course panicked....until I looked at the simple math and realized that 0.07 is in fact less than <0.1.

I pointed this out to him and he said ..Tom you are right. then he explained that this ultrasesntive PSA can measure down to minute levels where as the test i had been getting only measured to <0.1
Have any of you had this happen and should I be concerned?

Any help you guys can give me will be a great releif. Dr. is scheduling me for 2 month and 6 month PSA just to make sure

God Bless you guys

Tom

Tom,

Your post and the apparent ignorance of your urologist about ultrasensitive PSA tests is almost enough to get me out of semi-retirement!But I see that is not necessary - see my response of March 7 onj this thread.

Good luck! All the best

Terry In Australia

Thanks to all of you for your posts. I greatly appreciate it. I have had 3 more PSA's since March. March was .06, May .06, August .05 and October .06. My urologist advised checking it every 2 or 3 months. It's staying low but still is not 'Undetectable". Will keep the faith. God bless all you guys out there too.

Thanks,
John

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS