Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just Diagnosed

Frank,

Just returned from the 2nd opinion yesterday and spoke with 2 doctors about the trial. If I qualify the two arms are either you get the Chemo for 5 1/2 months then to the Robotic surgery or you go straight to the surgery. Because I believe that I should have it removed at my age, it could be a win win (bad choice of words) state the Oncologist.

Ty,
The drug may not be really be a chemo drug. There are going to be a lot of trials using drugs like Aberaterone for early stage cancer that have only been tested on men with late stage metastatic disease. These type of drugs have mild side effects compared to the old line chemo drugs.

It does seem that you will be on a win/win trial. It was the same with me; I didn't know if, or for how long, I wanted hormone treatment with the radiation but I knew I needed the radiation salvage treatment so if I got hormone treatment thrown in all the better.

Frank,

This is the trial that I copied and pasted. Let me know your thoughts please.

Surgery With or Without Docetaxel and Leuprolide or Goserelin in Treating Patients With High-Risk Localized Prostate Cancer

Official Title: Randomized Phase III Study of Neo-Adjuvant Docetaxel and Androgen Deprivation Prior to Radical Prostatectomy Versus Immediate Radical Prostatectomy in Patients With High-Risk, Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer

Summary

RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as docetaxel, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Androgens can cause the growth of prostate cancer cells. Antihormone therapy, such as goserelin and leuprolide, may stop the adrenal glands from making androgens. Giving docetaxel and leuprolide or goserelin before surgery may make the tumor smaller and reduce the amount of normal tissue that needs to be removed. It is not yet known whether giving docetaxel and leuprolide or goserelin before surgery is more effective than surgery alone in treating patients with prostate cancer. PURPOSE: This randomized phase III trial is studying docetaxel and leuprolide or goserelin to see how well they work when given before surgery compared with surgery alone in treating patients with high-risk localized prostate cancer.

Phase: Phase 3

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS