Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prostate Cancer Deaths

Terry,

I apologize for misreading your sentence. Even though there was a typo I should have known what you meant from the context. And I can't blame my lack of perception on summer heat. Incidentally, it was Mark Twain, a great American humorist, who said something to the effect that a mistake in a book on vitamins could be dangerous to an innocent reader.

I was reading today a post by a gentleman who was working with Dr. Meyers because of recurrence after radical procedures. He was taking several supplements recommended by Dr.Meyers along with Avodart. In time his PSA went up and Dr.Meyers recommended adding Lupron and Casodex. For some reason he would not explain, the gentleman decided not to take the doctor's advice but decided to let nature take its course.

Incidentally, I could swear I saw a video or read a newsletter by Dr.Meyers in which he said the only thing men aged 80 and older should do is take Avodart.

Stay well

Jack from Jersey

I suspect the solution to the problem of over treatment would be to call a Gleason 6 pre-cancerous. You might be quite willing to have your doctor remove a pre-cancerous skin lesion but you wouldn't be so quick to have your prostate removed or radiated because it had some pre-cancerous growth.

Frank,

Dr Jonathan Oppenheimer, a leading US pathologist, has been proposing something along those lines for many years. He was one of the drivers to change the Gleason Grading so that Gleason Scores lower thsn 6 were no longer designated as 'cancer'. That of course had some unforseeen consequences as the Gleason Grades 'migrated' with GS 5 material being graded as GS 6 and so on up the grades.

There is an interesting link to one of his proposals in 2011 here A new name for some forms of neoplastic prostate pathology?

Perhaps if this kind of approach could be adopted we'd avoid what Dr Christopher Logothetis, another PCa expert said (as quoted earlier in this thread) many years ago:

One of the problems with prostate cancer is definition. They label it as a cancer, and they force us all to behave in a way that introduces us to a cascade of events that sends us to very morbid therapy. It's sort of like once that cancer label is put on there we are obligated to behave in a certain way, and its driven by physician beliefs and patient beliefs and frequently they don't have anything to do with reality. [/url]

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS