Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Orlando Symposium

Jack,

I did not pose a question on this thread Dutasteride in the “off-therapy” cycles of ADT but I did on this one Overall survival among participants in the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial

I think the former study was far too small and complex to draw any conclusions, but was introduced to a new term for proxy measurement of tumour activity - the Ki-67 index Hmmm..... I wonder how accurate that measurement is and how good the studies are behind it??

But any study involving dutasteride/finasteride must eventually revert to the enormous argument that broke out when the PCAT (Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial) was stopped. It was my opinion then, and still is, that Dr Gleason's view was right. Dutasteride/finasteride alters the cellular structure of the prostate gland and the Gleason scoring system cannot be used. That means that the cells identified as more aggressive during the trial AND the ones identified as less aggressive might be equally incorrect.

This seems to be borne out by the conclusion quoted:

With follow-up of 18 years, finasteride administration for 7-years does not appear to affect mortality but significantly reduces the risk of a … diagnosis [of prostate cancer].

The risk of diagnosis being reduced may well have been because the cells from a biopsy did not meet the criteria of the Gleason system because of their structural change and therefore no 'cancer' label was attached.

Just my (skewed no doubt) view of the world. Hope nobody is misled by my expressing it!!

All the best
Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS