Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Could be epic future for us- Mayo Phase 1 genetic specific therapy

Here is the abstract info link and the NCT clinical trials code number to find info on all this. I could be epic in the future of all cancers, too.

Our support group just got this info from our onco-doc whom runs this totally, independent group. Some background as to what this is about and then links to the Phase One trials information and the abstract from Gene Therapy Journal on this stuff, not simplistic, but the concept to grasp overall can be very understandable.

Because of the genetic genomes and studies, they know about all these factors now as to how cells get influenced by proteins, enzymes and various specific types of genetic things. Well Probasin is specific to all prostate and PCa cells (only=gene specific). They have found a way to a promoter virus that finds its way into all prostate cells in your body and found a way for it to accept idodine along with it so as to become a radiovirotherapy on PCa. Thus locates were any prostate cells are located (bones, lungs, liver) and can assist in direct kill of cells. This is great hope for actual cures for PCa and iodine doseages or other mediums can thus be found eventually as to the best amounts to use to achieve success.

Further, this concept could work on perhaps all cancers, as is seems all cancers end up having a genetic specific link (tracer like idea), once that particular gene is identified this same concept can be replicated to use on other cancers is the concept. So cross your fingers and watch the future on this one, potentially could be the biggest new discover for we patients, historically. This genetic stuff has got to the way to find and treat the disease on its commonest links, celluar level and DNA chain things.

Abstract: Gene Therapy 2010 November: 17(11): 1325-1332 (Mayo Clinic-Rochester, Mn)

Phase I info: NCT ID: NCT00788307 (see gov. clinical trials plug in that number) open enrollment December 2012 Phase I

Gene Therapy and Radioactive Iodine in treating patients with locally recurrent prostate cancer that did not respond to external-beam radiation therapy (the title of this trial is the above sentence herein)

The ideas to grasp is Probasin gene is only found in prostate cells (not other types) it has a promoter in its DNA chain, they have an E1A gene that implants a virus that gets into the Probasin gene, it will divide and force more virus divisions, somehow something called the NIS gene carries iodine into the cells along with this process. Idodine can kill prostate cancer cells but doseage amount is kind of unknown. These cells can be traced as to where is the cancer happening. This same idea has been used for many years, on thyroid cancers and idodine has done wonders for identifying via imaging to therapeutic ablation of thyroid cancers using radioactive iodine (I-131). This non-invasive therapy has proven to be safe and effective treament for thyroid cancer, even in advanced metastatic disease.

I think Mayo Clinic is onto a big deal here and that is why they are the current pioneers investing in these expensive Clinical trials, I do not think it is on a whim. This could become a huge breakthrough even on all cancers, hopefully they are first in the market place. Just sharing this piece of news, there are others to find and share too.

We all need some hope for the future, even if it doesn't benefit us current warriors. This information seems hopeful even though we have found plenty of disappoints over the years, even with new drugs, usually expensive as heck too.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS