Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: HG PIN

Just what HG PIN studies tell you depends what you want to hear. Although there are indeed many studies that indicate a high correlation between HG PIN and subsequent diagnosis of prostate cancer, there are also many studies that do not show such a high correlation.

There is also no demonstrable causation between HG PIN and PCa.

In other words, while some studies say "These men had a HG PIN dagnosis and some of them subsequently had a PCa diagnosis, but we can't tell you how the disease progressed from HG PIN to PCa."

I have yet to see a study demonstrating a correlation between men with BPH (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia) and men diagnosed with PCa, but given the fct that so many men develop BPH as they age, there would, I believe be a greater correlation between BPH and PCa than HG PIN and PCa.

This study Re-biopsy of patients with an initial diagnosis of high-grade PIN may be of interest to you. If you read it negatively, you may be shocked to find that 19% of men with HG-PIN on a first biopsy were diagnosed with PCa on a second biopsy. Naturally, I say that 81% were NOT diagnosed with PCa.

As with such studies the detail is important and you will see that the biggest predictor of the likelihood of a PCa diagnosis is the number of cores with HGPIN. It is only men with four or more cores with HGPIN who are recommended to have a second biopsy because they have the highest potential risk.

Since you only had one positive HG PIN core (which I believe was not verified by an expert second opinion) it seems that your chances of being diagnosed with PCa, based on your HG PIN biopsy result are not extremely high at all.

As a matter of interest, I have been in correspondence for almost seven years with a man who had one core of HG PIN in his first biopsy. No HG PIN in his second or third - and no PCa, but like you he is a worrier, so every time he has a flicker of movement on his PSA he mails me. Of course he doesnt get quite so worried when his PSA dips a little.

Good luck. I hope you find a way not to worry too much about what seems to be a very remote chance of having a dangerous aggressive form of PCa.

Terry in Australia

Re: HG PIN

Thanks Terry, this is helpful, at least for my psyche!
So you noticed, i am a worrier, i know, its quite obvious. I try to work on that but you know what they say, a tiger doesnt often change their stripes.

Your comments are encouraging, and i will download and read the paper. Do you think it would be advisable to direct my doc to send the slides to Bostwick for a second opinion? My understanding is that the lab where my Uro practices (Columbia Presbyterian in NY, has an excellent reputation as a cut above, and the Urology dept at Columbia is ranked #5 in the U.S. So i figured their opinion would suffice for now, as long as they didnt see cancer. Maybe i am mistaken.

Thank you again for your response, and best of luck to you in your situation. (i have read your recent posts)

NYC, USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS