Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carbon-11-Acetate PET/CT Imaging

This is available in Phoenix, Arizona right now and is found to be superior imaging to other types of scans. Might not be covered by insurance, but FDA has approved the I.V. stuff it uses that is made from a Cyclotron.

Here is a link to Pacct Newsletter on it and shows photo imaging that you will be interested in seeing. I have heard from patients whom did this or the other method at Sand Lakes (Florida-USPIO with feraheme agents) and these types of scans found disease locations that the CT and bone scans could not find prior and people have arranged treatments based upon location and options possible.

Dr. Fabio Almeida at Arizona Molecular Imaging Center is the one to contact. Also, clinical trials were done on this method, not long ago and that info can be found.

http://www.paactusa.org/uploads/1dfbc29cc_vol_28_4_December_2012.pdf

The scan in Arizona would cost $3,000 without insurance envolved
The scan at Sand Lakes is supposedly covered by insurace but the agent (feraheme?) is non-FDA approved and you pay like $900 out of pocket for that to be used.

Re: Carbon-11-Acetate PET/CT Imaging

Also check out Choline (C11) from only approved center in US-Mayo Clinic.

Re: Carbon-11-Acetate PET/CT Imaging

There is an interesting commentary on PET scans at More on [11C]choline PET/CT scanning in men with recurrent prostate cancer Be sure to read the discussion in the comments column - and incidentally you need to understand that there is a difference between the two scans which I think are labelled as C11Carbon and C11 Acetate.

If you go to that link and, after reading the piece, enter c 11 choline PET scans in the site search engine, you'll find another five very interesting articles.

It's a VERY complex issue which is generally speaking beyond my abaility to understand!!

All the best
Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS