Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prostate Surgery

There is less likelihood of grading errors being made with high grade disease, Paul so the second opinion may be less necessary.

Radiation plus ADT would seem to be a reasonable approach.

Good luck
Terry in Australia

Paul,

Terry as usual has it spot on. I just want to add that over five years ago I faced what you now face, except my PSA number was bigger. I was 65 then. I had the treatment that has been suggested for you. It the recent words of my Urologist when looking at the PSA trend since treatment, I am "probably cured". Whether that is so or not doesn't matter a great deal. I'm alive - very much so - and life is good.

Do bear in mind that no treatment is without side effects and be sure you listen to what is described to you about these. I have suffered some, but I would not have changed the treatment regime. One day there will be a better combination available, I hope, but as of now, what is suggested for you gives you a fighting chance of making 75 and probably a lot more. I hope you have had a good sex life to date, because I'm afraid that unless you are exceptionally lucky, the future will hold memories rather than the reality of sex. That won't trouble you too much, such is the effect of ADT. Sometimes that particular side effect is given less emphasis than it deserves.

Good Luck

Ed in England

Thanks Ed for the reply. I hope to make it long past 75, I'm looking for, maybe 85 or 90. The effects of ADT are areal concern of mine. I feel confident that I can beat the cancer, it is the quality of life afterward that I am worried about.

Again thanks for the reply, and good luck to you also.

Paul,

I understand your concerns about quality of life and ADT. There is no doubt that some men have a very bad reaction to ADT. I am fortunately not one of them (well, so far after five years) and long time survivor CHUCK MAACK , who was diagnosed four years before me in 1992, has this to say:

My personal opinion is that you should get over your concern about androgen deprivation therapy (ADT). Think about this - and this relates to the physician telling you that you could get another 15 years - I have been on/off/on/off and only recently back on androgen deprivation therapy FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS! I still LIVE!

ADT is NOT the horrendous treatment that some claim it to be, and many of those who claim so never even had the treatment themselves - they rather echo someone else's comments who may have experienced some of the side effects that can occur, but that person likely had no idea how he could have relieved whatever side effects he is complaining about.

I quoted Chuck in E-Letter 5 which has a link to his website.

Good luck on your journey

Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS