Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Alternative/prep to/for biopsy and PSA numbers

Peet,

My story is on the site at TERRY HERBERTand you can see all the detail there.

I knew nothing when I was diagnosed - no idea where my prostate was or what it did! I had a bout of what was undoubtedly prostatitis. The doctor I went to did a DRE, which actually relieved the discomfort I was having, but because my PSA was 7.4 he suggested I see a urologist. The urologist said I needed a biopsy, as urologists do. so I had one - what did I know?

Neither of the doctors remarked on the enormous prostate gland I had - it was finally estimated at about 120 gm -almost five times the normal size - or the potential that this large prostate and the prostatitis were causing the PSA elevation.

Good luck - and can I suggest that you either start at the first page of the site - DON'T PANIC and work your way through the pages that follow. Or, if that doesn't appeal, then go along to A STRANGE PLACE and download the booklet I wrote. If you can't do that I'm happy to mail you a hard copy if you e-mail me your postal address.

Doning one (or even both) of these things will give you a good deal of background about this disease.

Terry in Australia

Was free PSA done along with PSA? How about PCA3 test?

Biopsy is not as bad as you expected. I went through PSA, free PSA, PCA3, as well as MRI before i decided on biopsy.

Eventially, it was biopsy that proved that I have PCa.

I went through MRI FUSED, Color Doppler Elastography Ultrasound Biopsy.

MRI showed a suspicious spot (deciding factor for biopsy), turned out not a cancer spot.
Color Doppler Elastography showed no suspicious area but 3 out of 14 samples were positive. My Uro said that my PCa were small and early and were not detected by the MRI and the CDEUL.

Free psa number from 2011 was 26%. I assumed they would re-test but was surprised that it was omitted.

2-Oxycodones 1-10mg valium. The worst was the initial placement to inject the numbing agent, not really too bad though. After that, no loud noises and just muted feeling, over quickly.
Same day I am able to urinate but with some blood & occasional clots, minor. Day 2 same but urgency to void increases, unable to empty bladder. Waking up at 2 am unbearable urgency but unable to go. I took a hot shower was able to pee just a little. Back to bed but happens again. Decided to stay up, I was close to going the ER since it looked as though I needed a catheter. I already had a lower than normal flow, I am assuming the prostate gland is swollen and making matters worse.
Day 3, Able to urinate but strong urgency prior to peeing, with strong build up to overcome, hard to explain. Sometimes less powerful urge. Drinking copious amounts of water and green tea to keep the plumbing operational
Any advice on meds to reduce swelling in the short term?
Results next Friday

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS