Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: prostate cancer tests

Warwick,

I very rarely get involved in discussions regarding the controversy about PSA Testing.

Here is what I think is a well balanced piece PSA screening and prostate cancer over-diagnosiswhich sets out the issues quite clearly in the historical context.

All the recommendations around the world say the same thing, very broadly speaking - that screening using PSA only has led to over diagnosis and over treatment. None of the recommendations suggest that doctros should not carry out DRE (Digital Rectal Examinations) or that they should not use PSA tests as part of a diagnositic work up in men where there might be some benefit.

Nothing would have changed as far as your particular position is concerned. If you had a good doctor who caried out a DRE at appropriate intervals, he would still refer you to a urologist if he followed currecnt recommendations.

All the best

Terry Herbert in Australia

Re: prostate cancer tests

Terry, just stating my own particular situation, my PSA was 3, and no symptoms as a matter of fact I only went to the GP with a sore wrist! since then family members who became concerned had difficulties finding a GP that would even do a DRE!

Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS