Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hormonr therapy

Peter,

The nurse would have given you the full list of potential side effects so that there were no surprises for you. In this country we are given a small pamphlet giving the full list of potential side effects for any medication prescribed.

The reactions to any of the medications we use will vary considerably and it is simply not possible to say which is the most common if only because the men who have very little reaction do not report that as such.

I have been on Zoladex and Cosadex for some months now and where some men report very bad reactions - so much so that they come off the medications - I have had nothing that I was not able to deal with.

I hope you are one of the men with very little reaction.

All the best
Terry in Australia

Peter:
I have a 15 page document produced by UCSF Medical Center that lists 15+ side effects of hormone therapy AND HOW TO COMBAT EACH. If you want to provide me your mailing address I will see that you get a copy. Or, you might call them at 415-353-7171 and see if they will send you a copy. The name of the brochure is " Hormone Therapy for Prostate Cancer-A Patient Guide.
Regards Don O.

My apologies, Don. I hadn't read your post before I posted the link to this guide at Hormone Therapy for Prostate Cancer – A Patient Guide

Terry

The important thing is Peter now has direct access to information that he is sure to find helpful and that's the reason he came to this site in the first place.

Hi Don and Terry,

Yes, it is a very informative guide. I was especially interested in the statement regarding what to do when hormone resistance has developed and whether treatment should be stopped. Their take on that situation is: "Not necessarily.
Some cancer will continue to respond to standard treatment. In general LH/RH antagonists/agonists are not stopped." Also, I was impressed with their saying that hormone therapy MAY (emphasis mine) be recommended for metastatic cancer. Unfortunately, they did not elaborate on that statement. I wonder if anyone can shed more light on these situations.

Jack Assainte

Been on Hormone therapy Zoladex for 4 and a half years. I take cyproterone for hot flushes which works very well. My main advice to you is to make sure that you exercise regularly. I feel well but it has had a significant effect on my marriage. The lust and passion in our relationship has totally gone now due to my non existant libido.My wife has lost all self esteem and confidence. This has been by far the worst effect.Hormone therapy sucks. Good luck.

Jack:
IF you are talking about page #3 for what it is worth I can offer you my take on what's being said,i.e., the authors never say HT IS appropriate under such and such circumstances. What they do say is that HT MAY be appropriate in a variety of circumstances including metastactic Pca. The implication is that your trusted physician will help you make this important medical decision. Like I said " for whatever it is worth".
Regards Don O.

In my post I wondered if anyone could shed light on the subject of the post. Well. I may have just stumbled upon the information I need. I fear I may be going over old territory here, but perhaps it bears repeating. An article I saw on the website UStoo, written by a knowledgeable patient survivor who is not a doctor, but edited by a doctor. I had read about ADT3, but this article put a different twist on its use. Recommended was ADT3 from the beginning of diagnosis, rather than allowing hormonal resistance to develop using only ADT2, the third leg of the ADT3 being either Proscar or, preferably, Avodart. Also recommended was the use of estradiol, a variant of estrogen, in the form of patches. The website is at www.ustoowichita.org/adt.cfm

Jack Assainte

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS