Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Long - Frustrating Struggle May End

Aloha,
Last week my uro-onc doc began to speak/think my flavor. I began this part of the journey 7 months ago. The first uro-doc, after 3 months, declined my request for a uro-diversion as being too risky. She referred me to a uro-onc and after 3 months of disagreement & impossible communication, he ran a couple of tests in OR and agreed that the bladder was shot (small/tough) with damage to the prostatic urethra.
It has been a difficult path. Three UTI's since May 25, pain management, withdrawal, a few days of rest, and down again.
Pre Op is next Wednesday, surgery one week from Monday.
Hang in there,
Joe

Re: Long - Frustrating Struggle May End

Joe,

It's good to hear things are looking up for you. I know I don't post much but I still read the forum everyday. God Bless and Keep You.

The Stranger

Long - Frustrating Struggle Ended

Aloha,
I am now pain free after 2+ years. The toilet is no longer a place of fear, anxiety, & pain. There are some other minor pains after surgery, nothing compared to before. The 6 hour operation was completed with no complications. The bladder was small hard & inflexible. The prostatic urethra was badly damaged. There was no cancer in the prostate or bladder. The surgeon had other surgeons ready to "chisel the prostate away from the rectum", but that was not needed.
I now have an external bladder.
Some of the things that are not clear about this kind of surgery are:
1. Day before only water, started taking antibiotics 6 tablets/2 hours. After third set, you sorta loose it, very messy. Then the bowel prep. Hunger.
2. 5:30 am next day surgery prep, disinfectant wipe whole body, epidermal to the spine before you go under.
3. Wake up, greet wife as they take you to your hospital room that evening.
4. It took 7 days before I passed gas, nothing by mouth until that painful event of farting. Started clear broth that day. Before that, food was that bag hanging from the post, breakfast, lunch & dinner.
5. Next day food, after that long even hospital food was good.
6. Discharged day 9. I had been walking in the hospital, but needed a day of rest at home.
We are now home (hospital is on the island of Oahu in Honolulu) on the Big Island of Hawaii. I started walking yesterday, made it around the coffee trees. No lifting of anything for 5 weeks.
Two days prior to surgery, I had ridden my off road bicycle 3 miles. Today, it would be difficult to even steady the bike upright.
Thanks for your support. It is possible to have surgery after EBRT/IMRT.
Joe

Re: Long - Frustrating Struggle Ended

Great news Joe! What a relief:-)

No doubt you'll be updating your story for a wider audience.

All the best

Terry

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS