Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DES

Jack,

The incidence of thrombosis observed in some cases where men were taking diethylstilboestrol (DES) was signifcantly reduced when the dose was lowered, yet the outcomes were similar.

I spoke to my cardiologist about this issue as part of my investigation into the use of DES making the point that since I was on Warfarin it would seem to deal with any potential probability of clotting with DES. He said that was not so and explained, in terms I cannot recall, bu7t have a note to pursue as and when...why this was not the case. I gathered that he felt the same way about aspirin.

The liver issue is an important one, but again seems to be more assssociated with higher dose DES and effective lowere dose.

All the best
Terry in Australia

Journal of Urology article from Nov. 2003 on this subject matter, found 1-mg DES safe and they said aspirin would in effect work to prevent clotting or DVT's, however to be more safe use coumadin/warfarin and get the INR Protime blood clotting test to figure out how much coumadin one should use.

Myself have used this drug over an 8 year+ period, one year went off it totally as a testing of psa stability. My experience with the source I have, is that is has given me better results than even ADT3 drug combo did (I have the psa's to prove all that, went off ADT3 in 2004-5). DES lowered my slowly rising psa's and became very stabilized.

Now I am a very high stats/risk scenario from 2002, including total urinary blockage from PCa causes. So, far still slugging it out in HT therapies concepts. Recently, DES or casodex used singlely or mono therapy has not stopped a rising psa in the last year or so. BUT, my onco-doc found a Journal article on using the combo of casodex+DES or any anti-androgen drug+any estrogenic drug....and...for whatever the synergistic reason it will lower a rising psa, per journal article findings (no other Journal info found on this concept, only one article). I also went off this twice and psa rose again, went back on and lowered psa level again. (very unique and probably temporary results, but 2 other guys in my PCa local support group have same doc and they did the same thing and got similar results, one guy using estradiol patches+casodex. This is a unique protocol and very tolerable for side effects, DES is fabulous for low or little side effects and helps with bone density and memory preservation. If it were that bad for clots and dvt's, I should have had issues with it years ago and have not. So, far it has not messed up my liver either, doc monitors alot of blood work and things and I see him often enough.

Hi Bob,

Your choice of treatments over the years is very interesting. Regarding your use of coumadin/warfarin to prevent blood clots, I had a triple bypass a little over two years ago and, of course, was prescribed coumadin. I was too lazy to keep going for the INR test, so instead I have been taking the following with apparently good results: Ubiquinol (an advanced form of COQ10), nattokinase, Vitamin K2 and Niacin (the kind that causes a pronounced flush. Because of a rising PSA I have to go back on ADT, using Degarelix, which also causes annoying flushing, so I will cut back on the Niacin.

Do you need a prescription to get DES?

Jack

Jack:

Please forgive my ignorance on DES therapy. I am on Lupron and am thinking along DES lines when I go resistant to the Lupron.

I've been reading that many men (mostly outside the USA) are using either DES or Estradial patches or gel with success.

This because of the insanely high cost of Lupron in part.

I am reading that the Estradial patches or gel are safer than DES because they bypass the liver while delivering the same results.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but would like to see further discussion here on DES vs Estradial (if you don't mind of course)

Don K.

Pluses on estrogenics: bone density improvement, memory not depleted, little to no side effects, except for tender boobs (perhaps and risk of enlargement which can happen from casodex and such too). Emcyt is another type of estrogenic Dr. Fred Lee used this on his own PCa with austounding results, alive with incureable PCa and around year 32 now since diagnosis, he is around 83 or so.

Not all estrogenics are equals in efficiency. Journal article from Nov. 2003 Journal of Urology, mentioned that DES (estrogenics in general) can work when casodex or LHRH fails, can work on hrpca, maybe isn't perfect but what the heck is. You might find some good discussions on this in other forums, Terry H. could direct you to a couple of those.

Don K,

The arguments for and against DES v Estradiol are many and varied.

If you join the PPML (Prostate Problems Mailing List and go along to the Archives you'll find a good deal on the subject.

You might like to mail Dr Fernando Premoli who has done a good deal of work on the subject at fernandopremoli@argentina.com He is very busy but I am sure if he has time he will respond.

Terry in Australia

Yes you sure do and not alot of docs will write one, also no money is made off the patient is doing this either.

Bob,

Thanks for your information. Is it injectable or oral?

Hi guys,

The more surfing I do to learn about treatments, the more I get confused. Now I see that Dr. Myers, in his video of 9/7/2011, is very emphatic that transdermal estradiol is superior to DES. The video is located on page 5 of the following site. http://askdrmyers.wordpress.com/

Jack from Jersey

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS